Search for content in message boards

Archer Family of Kilkenny, transition from Catholicism to Protestantism in 17th century, migration to Cork

Replies: 1

Archer Family of Kilkenny, transition from Catholicism to Protestantism in 17th century, migration to Cork

Posted: 13 Oct 2013 5:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am descended from Richard Archer, a Protestant merchant of Cork City who married the widow Catherine Wheeler (her first husband's last name was Wheeler) in Cork, 1756. Richard died in Cork in 1777.

Family lore says the Archers in our family were descended from the Archers (Catholics) of Kilkenny, but as I can only definitively trace my ancestry back to Richard Archer (Protestant) of Cork, I cannot say for certain.

I am looking for any information which can help me determine if the Protestant Archers of Cork City were descended from Archer Protestant "adventurers" or transplants from England or if they were descended from Archer Protestants already in Ireland, who may have converted to Protestantism after confiscation of lands during Cromwell's time.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
brendancorior... 13 Oct 2013 11:30PM GMT 
MartinaRooney 29 Nov 2013 8:52PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions