Search for content in message boards

Michael Sullivan b 1787 Thomastown and Mary McDaniel born 1790 Knocktopher

Replies: 2

Re: Michael Sullivan b 1787 Thomastown and Mary McDaniel born 1790 Knocktopher

Posted: 29 Jan 2014 7:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
This is quite early for irish genealogy.

The Tithe Applotments 1823-1837 now used as a census substitute.

Kilkenny: 50 Sullivan's.

Daniel Sullivan, Parish Coolagh, Townland Tenahill 1827 (Poor Law Union Callan)

Daniel Sullivan, Parish Castlecomer, TL Castlecomer 1823(PLU Castlecomer & Kilkenny)

D & Daniel Sullivan x 4 Parish of Killaloe, TL Rossmore 1833 (Plu Callan)

McDaniel, 69 listed in the Tithes, there is an Owen McDaniel, living Knocktopher Parish and Sheepstown Common 1830.

The University of Newbrunswick have recently put their shipping/passenger records on line, not sure though if Newfoundland would be included with those. I was at the archives in St. John but was looking for parish records, so don't know about passenger records.

There maybe emigration records but not necessarily transcribed. You could try the National Library or the National Archives in Dublin, or even PRONI, Belfast. Some genealogy offices show
emigration records but for only a few counties.

www.theshipslist.com if you havent looked there might be helpful.

Thomastown was also a Parishm a townland also a Poor Law Union town. It would cover 12 mi. with all parish's, villages, towns, townlands contained in that area.

Knocktofer, Knocktopher, Knoktover are the various spellings given for this small town, in the Union of Thomastown.
I believe St. Canice is in the town of Kilkenny and is a Cathedral with a Round Tower, within the medieval walls.

Parish records for Kilkenny are on line with www.rootsireland.ie a pay website. Most genealogy of Ireland has a cost.

The parish records for Knocktopher do not start till 1882-1910 for the Church of Ireland

Thomastown from 1782-1911; St. Canice from 1768-1911

I saw a film about the 'coffin ship' Hannah several times and also the research involved tracing one families history back to Ireland, its been on various channels here in Canada, however, the date it seems to me was more the 1840's than pre-1814.

I've been to Ireland several times and never found immigration records for my husband's family.
If they lived on an Estate you might find them in estate emigration records but not if they left of their own accord.

Annette Code
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kathy_jones31 11 Dec 2013 10:40PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 30 Jan 2014 2:31AM GMT 
kathy_jones31 30 Jan 2014 3:02PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions