Search for content in message boards

Joseph Mc Cabe

Replies: 2

Re: Joseph Mc Cabe

Posted: 10 Nov 2012 3:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello kgkollee,

I found the baptism index for the person I believe may be your Joseph McCabe. Tis index is from the Irish Family History Foundation website for County Louth.

The index shows that Joseph was baptized in the Haggardstown Catholic Church in 1894. The IFHF search engine would not accept the last name McCabe for his father, nor could I locate a first name for him. But, after several guesses the search engine did accept Mary McCabe as his mother. This indicates Joseph may have been born out of wedlock, but I can’t be sure of that. Catholic baptisms traditionally include the maiden name of the mother, but again, in this case I can’t be sure if McCabe was her maiden name, or if Mary took on the surname of the child’s father.

The index follows:

1 match for the search criteria: McCabe (plus variants) Joseph 1894 Parish: HAGGARDSTOWN (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Louth
Surname: McCabe
First Name: Joseph
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname: McCabe
Mother's First Name: Mary

Year: 1894

Parish/District: HAGGARDSTOWN (RC)
____

The IFHF homepage can be found at: http://www.rootsireland.ie/

Before accessing indexes at the IFHF you’ll first have to register. Registration is free. You’ll also be able to access the baptism index for Joseph McCabe that I did for free, but you will be charged to obtain his baptism transcription. You’ll have to purchase credits with a credit card to obtain the transcription. The IFHF website will have more information about purchasing credits for baptism, as well as birth, marriage, and death or burial transcriptions. If you just purchase Joseph’s baptism transcription, however, it won’t cost you more than 5 Euros. That’s what I was charged for the last transcription I purchased from the IFHF earlier this week. Once your payment is made, the transcription will be sent to your computer, so that there is not waiting for record.

It will be interesting to see what information is found on the transcription, other than what you see in the index above.

There may also be a civil birth record for Joseph, which may possibly give you more information about his birth. Civil birth, marriage, and death records are held by the General Register Office (GRO) in Roscommon Town, County Roscommon. For information about ordering records, application forms, and the fees involved, go to the GRO website at: www.groireland.ie/

Be aware that there is the possibility that the GRO will not have Joseph’s birth record.

If you order Joseph’s baptism transcription from the IFHF or obtain his birth cert from the GRO, please let me know what information these records contain.

Kind Regards,

Dave Boylan.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kgkollee 3 Nov 2012 9:24PM GMT 
DaveBoylan 10 Nov 2012 10:19PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 27 Dec 2012 8:53PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic