Search for content in message boards

Rathreagh, Ballina and Kilcummin - need some geographic opinions

Replies: 2

Rathreagh, Ballina and Kilcummin - need some geographic opinions

Posted: 7 Nov 2012 12:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cunningham
Hi all,

I'm still tracing my Cunninghams. I suspect they came from Seagoe Parish in county Armagh and were displaced by the Battle of the Diamond in 1795.

I have some documenation that state families headed by Edmd. & John Cunningham were re-settled in Ballina area. The Flax Growers lists a John Cunningham in Rathreagh (1796). The 1831 Tithe for Kilcummin lists Edmd. and Pat living in Cassel townland (probably Cashel) in Kilcummin Parish.

My great grandfather (John Joseph Cunningham) was born in Castlenageeha, right next Cashel, and his father (James Cunningham) was living in Cashel before marrying and then moved to Castlenageeha. I have all of the Griffiths valuations listing the Cunninghams in Cashel and Castlenageeha; and all of the Kilcummin/Lacken parish registries listing most of them as well (from about 1855 - 1875). Finally, I did find a civil death record for a John Cunningham in Cashel (b 1780 - d 1868) and I just requested a copy of the record from the GRE.

Anyhow, I am wondering if anyone has more info on Flax Growers list - if Rathreagh would be the townland or civil parish - and how likely the Cunninghams in the Ballina area -> Rathreagh -> Cashel would all be the same. I have a sense that this is the same family, esp. as Cunningham isn't a Mayo name, and I have oral family history that the Cunninghams came from Ulster (not a big stretch of the imagination).

Also, any other suggestions on sources would be greatly appreciated.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
John Loughney 7 Nov 2012 7:06PM GMT 
ArdeeLass 8 Nov 2012 12:45PM GMT 
John Loughney 8 Nov 2012 5:34PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic