West Monaghan is where you'll find these Parishes. According to Patrick J. Duffy in his Atlas - Landscapes of South Ulster - he describes this region as lowland drained by the Finn River. Townlands of note in Currin are Killynenagh,Carnroe, Killyfargy & Aughnaskieve where turf was harvested for many years. The McMahons were huge Landowners in Currin & Killevan prior to the 1641 Rebellion.
Hilton Demesne includes Hilton Lough and the impressive old Manor House of Hilton. The Forth Estate in Currin was bought by Rev Samuel Madden of Manor Waterhouse(Galloon Parish), who planted his Demesne at Kilshanlish,which by 1780 was known as "Hilton".The total Hilton Estate was 4,600 acres in 1870.
By the 1660s there were Settlements around Drum & Doohat where the Ker family predominated. In 1730 the Kers bought the Nicholson's Estate of Mullaghnashanner, later to become Newbliss (in nearby Killeevan Parish). The Ker Family was to dominate the entire area from that period.
Colla Dubh McMahon was a substantial Leaseholder in Currin - Killeevan in the 18th Century. His son High McMahon became Bishop of Clogher (1707-14) and Archbishop of Armagh (1714-37).
Killeevan (Newbliss) has a reputation for religious groups and Presbyterianism especially has prospered in the area. In 17th & 18th Centuries there were Open Air Altars at Corconnelly, Drumhillagh, Killykeskeame, Kinturk and Scarvy. A Mass House was built at Killeevan in 1745 and the first Chapel at Killyfuddy in 1818. Ture Chapel was built in 1842 in Aghnamard, on a site donated by an Army Officer. Killeevan Parish Church was built in 1857 while the first Presbyterian Church was established in 1675. Killeevan had 13 schools in the 1820s at Killeevan, Newbliss (2), Lisarilly, Killyfuddy, Fremagh, Crossbane, Coolnalong, Lisnagore, Ballynure, Drumhillagh, Tiredigan & Shanco. In 1841 there were 281 people at Lisnagore, a large farm cluster.
Aghabog was created in 1767 where a church was built at Crover in 1775. A Bronze Age settlement was excavated by Monaghan County Museum in in 1982 at Aghareagh West. Aghabog also claims a number of megalithic tombs locally known as "Giants' Graves". There were Mass Gardens at Annagose, Corleck, Latnamard, Killygragy Fort & Rakean. Latnamard Church was built in 1812.
Kilmore (meaning "big church") was founded in the 6th Century by Saint Aedhan and was known in the Middle Ages as "Cill More Aedhan" - the Great Church of Aedhan. This was in the townland of Kilnahaltar (Cill na h-altar) Twelve townlands were granted to Settlers in 1591. After 1591 the lands of the McCabes at Balleclonaugre were bought by John Burnett, a Scottish Catholic who built a fortified house at Ballyleck. He lost his lands after the Cromwellian Wars because of his involvement in the 1641 Rebellion when Thomas Cole became the newly appointed Landlord. The townlands of Thornhill, Drummaconnor & Brandrum were later owned by the Johnstons, Fawcetts & Coles respectively. Kilmore Church was rebuilt in 1790. The McCabe family name dominates in this area.
Drumsnat, famous for the grave of Oscar Wilde's two half-sisters dates back to 500 A.D. and an Ancient Graveyard still exists nearby where many more recent graves indicate the importance of this mediaevil religious site. A Chapel of Ease was built at Stranoodan in 1860.