Search for content in message boards

McClean / Tooher / Birr

Replies: 1

McClean / Tooher / Birr

Posted: 3 May 2014 9:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for anyone who might have information of Anne McDonogh born in Charles Street, Sligo on 26 July 1868. Her parents are listed as Peter McDonogh and Mary Anne McClean. It says Peter is a Journalist and is living in Dublin at this time.
HOWEVER, I can't find a marriage cert for the parents AND Anne McDonogh was baptised on 26 July 1869 (the day of her first birthday!!) in Dublin. There is a space on the register for date of birth and the priest has written 'about 8 months', so I wonder if they were married or not. They went on to have six more children between 1871 and 1882. I have found them on the Censuses and their ages would suggest that Peter was 18 years old when Anne was born and Mary Anne was 16 years old. Peter was born in Sligo and Mary Anne was born in Kings Co (Offaly).

Then there is another mystery. They are in the 1901 census living in relative comfort. The two unmarried daughters are not working. Peter died in 1908 and in 1911 Mary Anne is living alone at the same address and her unmarried children are all living with a married sister all sharing two rooms (about 10 people). I found Mary Annes' death cert after months of searching because it was transcribed wrongly. She died in June 1931 in Dromoyle, Birr, Offaly. (where she was originally from?) Her children were still alive at this stage. I found the death in the newspaper as follows:

McDonogh, (Birr) - June 10, 1931, at the residence of her niece, Dromoyle, Birr, Kings Co. Mrs Mary A. McDonogh, late of 2 Seville Place, Dublin.

So it's obvious that there was some sort of family dispute and the niece was placing the death notice in order to inform the children. On the death certificate the informant was 'John Tooher' present at death, Dromoyle. It says no medical attendant, so he is not a doctor.

Any thoughts?? Anyone know the McDonogh family from Sligo who had a son Peter? or the McClean family of Offaly? Who is John Tooher, Dromoyle? The husband of her niece? Where might she be buried? Any help appreciated. Thanks.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Claire62s 3 May 2014 3:02PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 26 Jun 2014 8:10PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic