Search for content in message boards

Ann Doyle/Dolan/Doylan b. 1812 married John Norton b. 1804

Replies: 4

John Naughton/Norton b. 1804 married Ann Dolan/Doyle/Doylan b. 1812

Posted: 23 Dec 2012 1:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Naughton, Doyle, Norton, Dolan, Doylan
[Re-post with spelling change.-DN]

I am looking for any information about my 2g-grandparents' lives in Ireland. My 2g-grandmother’s gravestone in Green County, Wisconsin (US) indicates that she died on 18 Mar 1880, that her age was 67 years, 10 months and 27 days (calculating a birth date of 1 May 1812) and that she was born in County Roscommon, Ireland.

Authoritative records that I have found only show her married name, Ann D. Norton. Hearsay records (that I have not traced to earlier than 1960) record her birth name as either Doylan or Dolan. The family had adjacent farm neighbors named "Dolan" or "Doyle" in Wisconsin.

Ann's husband was John Norton (Naughton?), b. 1804, also in Ireland (unknown county). The couple settled in Monroe County, New York, but John's (and probably Ann's) eldest child, William, was born in Montgomery County in about 1841. (The Erie Canal runs through both counties.) In 1844, their daughter Margaret was born in Canada. Authoritative records indicate that she was born in Upper Canada (Now Ontario, which is due north of Monroe and Montgomery Counties) and hearsay records indicate that she was born in Lower Canada (now Quebec).

In about 1860, the family re-settled in southern Wisconsin (Green County, near Brooklyn).

I have no credible evidence of when the couple arrived in America. The only record I have is hearsay, and indicates that they left Ireland during the Great Famine, an impossible scenario, given the birth years of their two eldest children.

In "Ireland Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881" on FamilySearch, searching for "Ann D-" born in County Roscommon, the closest match I find (within several years) is:

Name: Ann Doyle
Baptism: 07 Apr 1811
Father: James Doyle
Mother: Mary Walsh
Place: St. Peter's, Athlone and Drum, Roscommon, Ireland

I will be most grateful for any information regarding Ann D. or her husband John Norton, whether additional, supporting or refuting.

Regards,
Daniel Norton
Austin, Texas
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Daniel Norton 12 Oct 2011 2:16PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 19 Nov 2011 8:19PM GMT 
Daniel Norton 19 Nov 2011 11:41PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 20 Nov 2011 2:53AM GMT 
Daniel Norton 23 Dec 2012 8:04PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic