Search for content in message boards

Servants

Replies: 6

Re: Servants

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 10:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
It seems hard to believe now but it must of been very common not to know how old you were. I've even seen census where nobody in the family seems to know when they were born. Perhaps their civil birth record got lost I don't know. I don't think birthdays were as big a thing as they are now not for common folk anyway until after WWI. Working 7 days a week in the fields or children in mines working 12 hr. days in dreadful conditions. We just can't imagine
the lives people lived hand to mouth. Children as young as 10 were gainfully employed. I know in the UK in the mines whole families went down the pit even 3 year olds picking coal.
If you look at enough 1901 census you can see how few people could read and write. Less than 50 years before it was illegal to educate an irish child or RC child. They couldn't go to school and attended 'hedge schools' where someone would try to educate children on the sly.
I've seen on census 75 year old women working as servants so I think you worked till you couldn't any longer. No pensions in those days.

You can send for a copy of a death certificate after 1864. There is only the signature of the person reporting the death but the dr. might of signed and written the cause of death. www.groireland.ie

Annette
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
MKelly379 6 Jan 2013 2:01PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 7 Jan 2013 5:19AM GMT 
MKelly379 8 Jan 2013 6:53PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 14 Jan 2013 1:45AM GMT 
MKelly379 14 Jan 2013 5:56PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 15 Jan 2013 5:54AM GMT 
AnnetteCode 15 Jan 2013 5:54AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions