Search for content in message boards

townland Curry, co Sligo

Replies: 18

Curry

J McGuinn (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 2000 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Lynch family members could be buried in any one of the following cemeteries;

(1) Drumahilian cemetery approximately one mile from Curry RC church. Burials took place here in the 19th century,(possibly before), and the 20th century; I was at a funeral there in 1973 or so but I think that it is closed to burials now. With some effort you can read the inscriptions on some headstones.

(2) Benada(Banada)cemetery approximately four miles from Curry RC church. Burials have taken place here since the 18th century approximately. Many Curry people lie buried in this cemetery. It is situated in the parish of Tourlestrane and is more or less closed to burials today.
It is in a state of decay in more ways than one. Names can be read on some headstones.
My family had a tombstone erected here to the memory of my gggrandfather in the 1830s. With the passage of years it had fallen sideways but the writing was legible. When I visited it in the mid 1980s it was vandalised and smashed in four. A similar fate happened a Brennan family tombstone not far from ours at the same time.
Under the Health Acts, Sligo Co Council are responsible for this cemetery but they denied any responsibility in the vandalism at the time.However an official in the council offices put the blame on "researchers". In fact no permission was given to researchers to carry out any study on the tombstones or leave a hand on them.

(3) Rhue cemetery approximately three miles from Curry RC church. Burials have taken place here since it was opened in 1900 or thereabouts. Many, many Curry people are buried here. This cemetery is also in the parish of Tourlestrane.
It is well kept and names can be identified on most headstones. It is still open.

(4) Bunnacranagh cemetery approximately one quarter of a mile from Curry RC church. This cemetery was opened in 1963 or so. Most Curry burials have taken place here since then. It is a very well kept cemetery and the names can easily be read on every headstone or grave marker.
The name and address of the church in Curry is:

Church of the Immaculate Conception,
Curry,
Ballymote,
Co Sligo.

Only clergy are buried in the church grounds.
Some people from the parish have also been buried in Charlestown, Carrowcastle and Achonry cemeteries.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Murph_ 31 Oct 2013 5:47AM GMT 
djjr7744 11 Nov 2013 5:44PM GMT 
karentracey1 11 Nov 2013 11:59PM GMT 
J McGuinn 5 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT 
KathyLaHaie 28 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT 
peterpatten53 8 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Eileen Martin 20 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT 
KathyLaHaie 23 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT 
neilvana 30 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions