Search for content in message boards

Phillips-Meehan, Cully, Sligo

Replies: 12

Re: Delia Phillips & Thomas Keane - Brookline MA 1906

Posted: 2 Sep 2009 6:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kane Kain Keane Cahill Phillips
Hi Susan,
I will continue my search on the Phillips side of my family. I have been trying to find the church records for Cullly but so far no luck. I just need to do more work and probably visit Ireland. I was hoping that you might have found James Phillips as being listed in your records.

My Kain family came from County Galway, Barna and Salthill.

When I looked up my GP's marriage record in Brookline, I was surprised to see that there were at least 2 and possibly 3 different spellings of the name in the record ledger.

On the copy of record of marriage that I have it shows my GF as being Thomas Keeane and his father as William Keane. The original name in Ireland was Kain, when my GF arrived he became a Kane. His brother Patrick became a Keane and also lived and raised his family in Brookline.

The marriage record also lists my GM as being Delia Phillips. Her real name was Bridget named after her mother. I asked my mother if my GM ever used any other name and she replied that she used Delia because she thought it didn't sound Irish. I guess that explains why the name is different.

My GM Bridget Phillips also had a sister Mary that came to Brookline and married a Cahill. They also raised their family in Brookline.

I will let you know if I get anymore information on my Phillips side.

Thanks for replying,
John
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
KevinFox67 22 Aug 2005 3:36PM GMT 
Susan Daily 2 Oct 2005 6:17PM GMT 
KevinFox67 3 Oct 2005 2:19AM GMT 
kathymarieleo... 11 Feb 2007 9:30PM GMT 
KevinFox67 14 Feb 2007 2:16AM GMT 
johnbearce 2 Sep 2009 1:23AM GMT 
Susan Daily 2 Sep 2009 7:02PM GMT 
johnbearce 3 Sep 2009 12:55AM GMT 
anelewaters 10 May 2013 1:57PM GMT