I think we may have a more distant connection. I was looking for the husband of a cousin who was born in Curley, Sligo. His parents were James McCarty and Bridget Phillips. From some advice on the list, I think I may have found his origins. I am now beginning to think maybe the townland he was from was Cully. [I imagine that Cully might sound like Curley with an accent.]
I found at a recommended web site, http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlsli/index2.html
, a list labeled "ACHONRY TITHE APPLOTMENT. Jan 14, 1827" and in the town of Cully are the surnames of James' parents - a James Carty and a Thomas Philips.
So we are talking about several generations here, and lots of assumptions until other records can hopefully be located. But I would like to guess the following (there is no proof to any of this, so please don't adopt it into your tree without further research):
1. James Carty [listed in Cully in 1827] m. Unknown
1. 1. James Carty m. Bridget Phillips
1. 1. 1. James McCarty b. July 1860 in Cully, Sligo m. Kate Lundy
1. 1. 2. Mary McCarty b. Apr 1862 in Ireland m. James Convey
1. 1. 3. Martin McCarty
1. 1. 4. Annie McCarthy b. Jun 1873 in Ireland m. Anthony Convey
2. Thomas Philips [listed in Cully in 1827] m. Unknown
2. 1. Bridget Phillips b. abt 1839 m. James Carty
2. 2. Edward Phillips m. Bridget Fleming
2. 2. 1. Thomas Phillips b. 1873 m. Anna Meehan
Have you tried to locate church parish records from those time periods yet? That would be the next step. I also will see if I can locate Bridget (Phillips) McCarthy's death record here in the US. I think she died in Brookline, Norfolk, Massachusetts, USA after 1900.
Please let me know if you think we might have a connection.