Search for content in message boards

Sligo to Roscommon? :Oates/Moffett

Replies: 15

Re: Monaghan Family

Posted: 12 Jan 2012 10:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Graeme,
I have just seen your posting on your Monaghan Family from Co.Sligo, Ireland.
My Gr.Grandmother was Dorathea Monaghan born 1865 in Ballymote, Co.Sligo, Ireland. Her parents were Farrel Monaghan MD and Ellen Murphy. This information is on the marriage certificate of my Gr.Grandparents, but that's all I know on her family back in Ireland.
Dorathea married George Richard Dunstan in October 1887, Cooktown, Qld. George was born in Budock, Cornwall, England in September 1863.
Both Dorathea and George immigrated out to Australia as Unassisted Passengers. She was 19 and traveled on her own, going straight to Cooktown. Which lends to the story that she came out to Australia to visit her Aunt, Uncle and cousin, who were supposed to be living in Laura at the time.
George was the first to arrive in Bundaberg, Qld. 19 September 1883 on the Ship "Silhet". He traveled on up to Cooktown and managed to get work as a labourer to start with, then he went to work on the Laura Line, and later on the Normanton - Croydon Line.
Dorathea arrived in Maryborough Qld on the "Duke of Westminister" 8 December 1884, then traveled up the Coast to Cooktown arriving there around Christmastime. It is believed she worked as the Housekeeper to the Catholic Priest in Cooktown for a bit, then worked as a Dressmaker in the small Township of Laura. This is where the couple first met.
As my Paternal Grandmother Maud May (McQueen)Dunstan first worked for George & Dorathea Dunstan, as their Chamber-Maid in Croydon at the age of 15, she always told the story of Dorathea being one of several children to Farrel & Ellen Monaghan. The parents were very strict and all children were raised in Boarding School. The girls by the Nuns, and the boys by the Priest/Brothers. Not the most happiest of upbringings I would imagine back in those days, and it seems to have left it's mark on her. Dorathea married George Dunstan in the Rites of the Methodist Church in Cooktown and all their children were baptised and raised in the Church of England faith, as their father was.
It would be very interesting to see if your Monaghans and mine are related.
I was born in Qld. and have lived all my live here.
Regards,
Rita (Dunstan)Wilson
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Francis Oates 6 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT 
jeanrice 29 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT 
teatimes 22 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Jake Monahan 20 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT 
mellos2 4 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT 
GraemeMonagha... 27 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
KennethOLeary 13 Jan 2012 5:58AM GMT 
Jake Monahan 8 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
GraemeMonagha... 28 May 2000 12:00PM GMT