Search for content in message boards

Ann Scanlon married James Moran

Replies: 11

Re: Ann Scanlon married James Moran

Posted: 7 Nov 2012 3:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Thank you for so much information. This was truely a random act of genealogy research. I am working through it all and see several things that I have not uncovered. In answer to your questions:
Did Ann Scanlon marry in Scotland or in Ireland? I haven’t been able to find a Marriage Cert on Scotland’s People, so I assume they were married in Ireland. I found the name Ann Scanlon (also spelled Scanling and Scanllin) on her daughter’s marriage certificate and death certificate on Scotland’s People. I couldn’t find the death certs of Ann Scanlon or her husband, James Moren, on Scotland’s People. My working assumption is that they never left Ireland. The marriage certificate is difficult to read. My best understanding is as follows:
Statutory Marriages, Scotland's People, July 31, 1871.
On the thirty first day of July at Eisheraere (?) Arbroath, after Banns, according to the Forms of the Established Church of Scotland.
Signed George Riddoch, age 22, boot closer, bachelor; usual residence 11 Craigia (?) St, Dundee. Father::James Riddoch, maltsman (Deceased). Mother Margaret Riddoch M.S. Martin
(Signed by mark) Mary Moren, age 24, Flax Mill worker, spinster, usual residence: 24 Lady Bridge Street, Arbroath; father: James Moren, mechanical Engineer, (Deceased). Mother Ann Moren MS. Scandling (?) deceased.
WF Irvine, Minister of Arbroath
Alexander Nicol, witness
Anges Riddoch, witness. (sister of groom)

According to a list I found, William Forbes Irvine was the Parish Minister of Old Kirk in Arbroath from 1844-1882. So Mary Moren married as a Protestant. Her mother may have been Protestant, but, then again, maybe not.

I settled on the name Scanlon as that was a popular name in Ireland at the time, but it might be one of the other spellings, or another spelling entirely.

The 1881 Scotland census lists Mary Moren’s birthplace as Sligo, Ireland about 1849. The 1891 and 1901 census concur with birth around 1849, while the 1871 census says birth around 1846, her marriage certificate indicates a birth around 1847 and her death certificate indicates a birth during 1851 (died Jan 1905 aged 53 years).

I was unable to find Mary Moren in the 1861 or 1851 Scotland Census. I was unable to find the Moren family with Mary, Ann and James in Irish census either.
Both Mary Moren’s death and marriage certificate concur that her parents were James Moren/Moran (listed as both Mechanical Engineer and Laborer) and Ann Scanlinn/Scandling. Both were deceased in 1871 at the time of her marriage.

I did find a Griffith’s valuation where a Scanlon and a James Moren are on the same page. This is for the Parish of Achonry, Levyn, Sligo in Muckelty. Both James Moran and Thomas Scanlan are shown as occupying land owned by Henry Irwin. This is just one of many listings for James Moran in 1858 in Sligo.

What are Mary's children named? Mary’s children were named James (Illegimate son born 1871, has her father's name), Helen (husband’s grandmother’s name), Christina, Elizabeth and Margaret (husband’s mother’s name). So perhaps, I'm looking for family members named Christina or Elizabeth????

Again, thanks for your information and expertise.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
nancymoffett1 16 Oct 2012 5:26PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 6 Nov 2012 6:03AM GMT 
nancymoffett1 7 Nov 2012 10:28PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 8 Nov 2012 2:20AM GMT 
nancymoffett1 8 Nov 2012 3:33PM GMT 
eugenemcv 8 Nov 2012 2:02PM GMT 
nancymoffett1 8 Nov 2012 7:20PM GMT 
eugenemcv 9 Nov 2012 11:06AM GMT 
nancymoffett1 9 Nov 2012 6:24PM GMT 
eugenemcv 12 Nov 2012 3:04PM GMT 
per page