Search for content in message boards

Obits/Death notices in Ireland & UK now days

Replies: 14

Re: Obits/Death notices in Ireland & UK now days

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 2:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Feb 2013 2:54PM GMT
All,

Well this has been very Interesting. I think in most circumstances family remains and takes care of things.

However, I am concerned about two situations.

Say a remaining family member does not go to probate and just ignores the requirements? No one would really know as this is private actions anyway (sending will to probate, hiring a Solictor, ect...). How are Houses/Land addressed in this situation? Say a will leaves property to the remaining family member (and they ignore probate procedures - can it be sold?). How would a buyer know if issues exist.

Second, would be the issue when a last remaining member of a family passes (and say no relatives remain, or no one who gives a concern). Given most of this costs something-if only time and hassle, usually "friends" are NOT going to pay or hire Solicitors to get "Letters of Authority" {as they are called Here in the US Authorizing someone to marshal assets like bank accounts, Land/House, personal property}.

I am not directly talking about Burial costs (but that too is an interesting issue) especially if the Undertaker bills months later, so what assures them of payment? They MUST have some mechanism to guarentee costs are paid especially as no one remains to sue (and who wants to sue anyway)?

I imagine many of the Funeral Homes never get paid if the do not make sure assets exist *(and then they wait for months for settlement of the Bill. (In the US - they get paid up front in full- or nothing happens if someone does not pay them). Something must exist to make sure they get paid as Funerals are expensive - I imaging in the old days when the family did everything not too much costs existed save grave diggers - but most societies have moved away from family preparing the body and I know laws exist if someone is not buried quickly ---one reason I though Ireland had a tendency to bury loved ones quickly, within days -- often making it so family in the US could not get over fast enough (a common thing I heard over the past 20 years or so)!!

Finally, it seems I am missing something here as to the Laws in place? Does automatic liens exist on the Home of the deceased? What if they are in nursing Homes (or some other medical bills which surely exist - -but in ireland most are covered by NHS so maybe they do not worry about final medical costs payment?

I probably should be directing that question to the Funeral Home or director --

My concern is mainly if a small property is left, and no probate goes forward and no one knows it did not -- how could a property be sold?

Any idea? Anyone dealt with these issues as any comments for those who have went through this is appreciated...

Murph_
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Murph_ 18 Feb 2013 6:55PM GMT 
jeannemarge 19 Feb 2013 2:55AM GMT 
jeannemarge 19 Feb 2013 2:57AM GMT 
eugenemcv 19 Feb 2013 3:05PM GMT 
Murph_ 19 Feb 2013 4:55PM GMT 
eugenemcv 19 Feb 2013 7:41PM GMT 
elwynsoutter1 23 Feb 2013 9:27AM GMT 
Murph_ 24 Feb 2013 9:52PM GMT 
elwynsoutter1 24 Feb 2013 11:21PM GMT 
Murph_ 4 Mar 2013 11:20PM GMT