Search for content in message boards

Obits/Death notices in Ireland & UK now days

Replies: 14

Re: Obits/Death notices in Ireland & UK now days

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 12:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
My apologies, I think we're at cross-purposes here.

I do indeed have direct experience of dealing with death and probate here in Ireland.

The Obituary section of the Irish Times, a national newspaper, runs weekly. The national newspapers in the US have obituary sections too. These are what I mean by 'Obituaries'. These can be see online too.
In Dublin, for instance, a death notice only is the norm. The Irish Times for example, does not publish paid-for obituaries.

Practice outside the major cities, in the country areas, varies. I've known people who died in Sligo and Leitrim and Donegal and Cork and only had a death notice on radio.
In the local papers, paid-for notices with photographs and detail of the persons life are different and that's where my confusion lay.

As far as I know, there is no legal requirement to post any sort of notice of a death here in Ireland. As far as notification goes, your estate will not be wound up unless the probate office is notified with the will (or not), the appropriate forms and the death certificate.

Probate, whether with a will or not, is a long process here too.
Yes, in my experience the undertaker bills you after the funeral.
If there is any thing else, just ask.
Hope this helps,
E
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Murph_ 18 Feb 2013 6:55PM GMT 
jeannemarge 19 Feb 2013 2:55AM GMT 
jeannemarge 19 Feb 2013 2:57AM GMT 
eugenemcv 19 Feb 2013 3:05PM GMT 
Murph_ 19 Feb 2013 4:55PM GMT 
eugenemcv 19 Feb 2013 7:41PM GMT 
elwynsoutter1 23 Feb 2013 9:27AM GMT 
Murph_ 24 Feb 2013 9:52PM GMT 
elwynsoutter1 24 Feb 2013 11:21PM GMT 
Murph_ 4 Mar 2013 11:20PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions