Search for content in message boards

Obits/Death notices in Ireland & UK now days

Replies: 14

Re: Obits/Death notices in Ireland & UK now days

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 9:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
Jeanne and eugenemcv,

Thanks for the responses. They ARE appreciated. I think a Death Notice is just the name, place, and date of death. I could be wrong. I KNOW the Death Certificate and Associated Registry is a Government required procedure to make sure everyone who has passed is documented accordingly.

Although I have personally dealt with the passing of Loved ones in the US, never in Ireland and I was *(and still am)* looking for someone who dealt with it in Ireland personally. I surmise if the remaining loved ones do not post and Obituary, nothing else is published save Gov. required notice (for banking and other organizations - otherwise How would they know?).

The Probate Court then comes into play and authorizes the executor/executrix to marshal the departed assets, and pay the final bills and funeral costs - then distributes the assets as the Will states or as the Law states if intestate (without a will, which is common despite wills being simple now days and usually not requiring Attys/Solictors). It is a complicated process and many do NOT know the hassle is winding up someone's estate --if small in money terms it can wipe out any inheritence (which is why I think it this case no Obit. was posted).

I do disagree that Obits are for someone of "repute" -- many people, indeed almost ALL people now and in the past have had Obituaries published by their family and loved ones (and the rip.ie and announcements.ie and other sites clearly provide that Family give notice to Friends and Family of the Passing and being online I do not think they cost ANYTHING).

In the US We all know and Obituary is done in the Persons local paper, BUT it has to be placed and paid for my Family or Friends otherwise it does not happen. Same in Ireland apparently (and in my case I think the person's Son did not know to place one). They can be expensive if photos are involved or long ($100.00 +) but if kept to a minimum they are affordable for the basic info. --- name, place and date --- most everybody now has an Obit. placed if only one sentence.

In the particular case I was referring in Sligo, Ireland, I think the person did not know to do so and probably would not of as it was a cost apparently did not want to incur. Sad.

Again, thanks for the replies (and if someone has personally done this in Sligo Ireland please let me know the details your aware of -- including I am told the Funeral Home does not require up front payment ...and might not bill for months? That is certainly different than the US as up front money, in full, is needed ...or it is not done.

Cheers,

Murph_
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Murph_ 18 Feb 2013 6:55PM GMT 
jeannemarge 19 Feb 2013 2:55AM GMT 
jeannemarge 19 Feb 2013 2:57AM GMT 
eugenemcv 19 Feb 2013 3:05PM GMT 
Murph_ 19 Feb 2013 4:55PM GMT 
eugenemcv 19 Feb 2013 7:41PM GMT 
elwynsoutter1 23 Feb 2013 9:27AM GMT 
Murph_ 24 Feb 2013 9:52PM GMT 
elwynsoutter1 24 Feb 2013 11:21PM GMT 
Murph_ 4 Mar 2013 11:20PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions