Search for content in message boards

Wraystown - is it in or near Ballina?

Replies: 2

Re: Wraystown - is it in or near Ballina?

Posted: 25 Jul 2013 8:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Jul 2013 8:16AM GMT
Hi Annette,

Thanks for looking into to this for me. I am looking after Michael Roughneen / Rochford (Roughneen was used on the tithe, Rochfort was used on Griffiths, and later changed to Ratchford in the US). He was listed as living in Kilwatermoy parish, Mayo on the tithes, but Kilwatermoy parish on Griffiths. I think after 1898, it was formally transfered to Mayo.

On the tithes, Michael is listed as paying tithe in Cloughscetty, Kilmoremoy. I cannot find Cloughscetty anywhere, but he was the only person in that townland. He had a brother in Quignelegan, Kilmoremoy.

I've seen Wraystown listed in several entries in the Kilmoremoy parish book (via microfilm) in the 1830s. The family looks like this (many of the records are available on rootsireland)

Michael married Alice Conmee (Conmey) on 11 Feb 1827.
1. Patrick, born 17 Feb 1829 in Corimla North, to Michael Roughneen and Alis Conmee, John Kelly and Ally Kelly were sponsors. [Kilmoremoy Parish records]
2. Michael, born 1831?
3. James, born 13 Aug 1832 in Wraystown, to Michael and Eliz Conmee [Kilmoremoy Parish records]
4. Maria, born about 1839 in Corimla North, to Michael Rochford and Alice Conmee
5. Martin, born about 1840 in Corimla North, to Michael Rochford and Alice Conmee

Other people have referenced Wraystown alongside of Faranmorgan, which is the neighboring townland to Corimla. Finally, via http://www.logainm.ie/ I noticed this:

Farrinmorgan... Cloughscetty subdenom.... Knockmore.. Middle Village

Which I take to mean that Cloughscetty was a subsection of Farrinmorgan.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
John Loughney 23 Jul 2013 8:22PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 25 Jul 2013 1:38PM GMT 
John Loughney 25 Jul 2013 2:12PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions