Search for content in message boards

Culkin/Culkeen/Culken and Byrne/Beirn of Sligo, Ireland, Taunagh parish immigrated to Ontario, Canada

Replies: 1

Culkin/Culkeen/Culken and Byrne/Beirn of Sligo, Ireland, Taunagh parish immigrated to Ontario, Canada

Posted: 12 Aug 2013 12:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Culkeen/Culken/Culkin and Byrne/Beirn
I recently began researching my ancestry. On my mother’s side, I am descended from Bridget Culkeen (1809-1879) and Michael Donovan (1801 - ?). Their parents were Irish and they immigrated to Ontario, Canada at some point after they were born. Bridget’s parents were Michael Culkeen and Hannah Byrne who lived in Taunagh (or Tawnaugh) parish in Sligo County, Ireland. I found the baptism records for their children including Bridget but that is where the trail ends. My understanding is that the Catholic church burned down and that is why there are no records of Hannah’s marriage to Michael or Hannah or Michael’s birth in Ireland. After conducting further research into the last name of Byrne, it appears Hannah may have come from the neighboring county of Roscommon or maybe her parents came from there. I am just wondering if anyone has any information on the Culkeen’s of Taunagh parish or the Byrne/Beirn surname. Also, any tips for conducting further research are welcome. Thanks in advance!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
gaskillsarah 12 Aug 2013 6:05PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 26 Sep 2013 3:25AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions