Search for content in message boards

Hanney, Scanlon

Replies: 3

Re: Hanney, Scanlon--RECORDS

Posted: 1 Nov 2013 2:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Nov 2013 2:53PM GMT
Shanew147 (Hanney,Scanlon post immediatelybelow) thanks for the post -- but records for Baptisms (Birth) and Marriages sometimes go back much further than many "assume" so it is dangerous to say they only start here or there....... In fact some start in 1845 in some cases. Just want to make sure people know to search anyway -- and many Parish records, or complete records, are NOT online now even in Oct. 2013 !

Some groups and people are trying to correct this!

Officially BMD records were required by the Gov. after 1864, but again, Parish by Parish and Townland by Townland dates are different depending on the Parish.
Some Parishes just started keeping records sooner than required by Gov. order, I cannot comment on why -- but Officially BMD (Birth, Marriage, Death) records begin in Ireland in 1864 -- both R/C and Prot. but MANY Parishes of either religion started their records going back much further, I suspect it depended on how well connected they were as other England Parishes keept records going back thousands of Years !!

To be a bit more specific the B in BMD in Ireland "Births" are actually Baptism Records (close enough as many got Baptized days after Birth because of what We now call infant mortality (the chance a infant would pass soon after birth)....Parents not wanting their child to be in "Limbo" -- as they called it then, odd name -- they were Baptised often in a day or so after Birth, because the R/C Church would not let such UN- Baptised infants be buried in consecrated (Regular) Cemeteries (something that is now corrected, than the Good Lord) -- I know of someone Who Went through this Heart Wrenching in Ireland in the 1960s...so to get back on point, it is best to check each parish Records personally to see what Date they start...as they could be much earlier than someone assumes (Father said never assume, if you spell it out it says --- you make an ass out of u and me=assume)

For Kilmacteige Parish (which I research) the Marriage and Baptism records start in 1845 !!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
marigold64 31 Oct 2013 9:40AM GMT 
shanew147 31 Oct 2013 11:03AM GMT 
Murph_ 1 Nov 2013 8:44PM GMT 
shanew147 2 Nov 2013 8:45AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic