Search for content in message boards

O'Hara - McAllister - Walsh of Tubbercurry, Sligo Ireland (& Kilmactigue)

Replies: 5

O'Hara - McAllister - Walsh of Tubbercurry, Sligo Ireland (& Kilmactigue)

Posted: 13 Nov 2013 3:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Re: This is a follow on to a post started 5 Apr 2006 ..... O'Hara, Bridget & Winifred, Co. Sligo, Ireland (Kilmactigue).

I am doing some genealogy research for my wife's Walsh family. Her g-grandparents were Michael J. Walsh b. abt 1863 and Maria A. McAllister (mthr was an O'Hara) b. abt 1871. Michael's and Maria's families, were from the Sligo Co., Tubbercurry area based on family anecdotal info and records. One of the Walsh family thinks that the McAllister's might have been from Roscommon although I have not found any records to verify this. Also, I have not been able to find where Michael Walsh's family lived in the Tubbercurry area (more on them below). The McAllister's and O'Hara's appear to have been from the Kilmactigue based on records I've found (more on them below). So, at the moment I'm researching the McAllister's and O'Hara's in hope that I might find out something about the Walsh's in the process.

Michael immigrated to the United States with his family abt 1885 (census records) and settled in the Boston-Salem area of Massachusetts. The ships passenger list (Lord Gough arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1 Jun 1885 from Liverpool, Eng.) shows the following Walsh family, all from Ireland. All but Michael and John returned to Ireland. About all that is known about the Walsh's in Ireland is anecdotal, except that they came from Tubbercurry, Sligo.
Lord Gough Ships List:
Walsh, Thomas 50 yrs (b. 1830)
Mary 46 yrs (b. 1834)
Michael 22 yrs (b. 1863)
Mary 19 yrs (b. 1866)
John 14 yrs (b. 1871)
Thos 4 yrs (b. 1881)

Maria McAllister immigrated to the United States abt 1888 (census records) and settled in the Boston-Salem area. Siblings, Catherine (Kate) and possibly a Daniel, immigrated to the same area but at different times. Kate married John Neary in Massachusetts - no children. Other siblings in Ireland based on a Christmas card to Kate were Josephine (maybe a middle name) and Mary. Maria's parents names are a little questionable but I believe they were James McAllister and Winifred "Winey" O'Hara. Maria McAllister's marriage record to Michael J. Walsh in Salem, Massachusetts shows the parents as James McAllister and Winefred O'Hara. Maria McAllister-Walsh's death certificate shows her parents as John McAllister and Mildred O'Hara. I could not find any John McAllister and Mildred O'Hara's in the census or other records that looked like a good fit. However, James McAllister's father was John, so maybe that is the John on the death certificate??? Don't know about Mildred. So, for now I am assuming the parents are James and Winefred "Winey"and that they were from the Alcare - Kilmactigue area of Tubbercurry based on 1901/1911 census records for Ireland, and marriage and birth records from LDS Family Search and Ancestry. James and Winefred's marriage records is:

Marriage 13 Feb 1868; Kilmactigue, Sligo Co.: James Mcalister and Winefred O'Hara
Name: James Mcalister
Birth Date: 1840
Birthplace:
Spouse's Name: Winefred O'Hara
Spouse's Birth Date: 1848
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Age: 20
Event Date: 13 Feb 1868
Event Place: Kilmactigue, Co. Sligo, Ireland
Father's Name: John Mcalister
Mother's Name:
Spouse's Father's Name: James O'Hara
Spouse's Mother's Name:

Another question from a birth record for Daniel J. McAllister b.1878 to James McAllister and Winey Ohara McAllister is that he was born in Kilbride, Sligo, Ire. I could not find Kilbride or Kilbridge near Sligo. Is this area familiar to anyone?

This is pretty sketchy information but if anyone has further details of a McAllister or O'Hara connection, or the whereabouts of the Walsh's and their connection to the forementioned I would greatly appreciate the feedback. If I need to provide more details also let me know.

Thank you,
Dan Harvey
Snohomish, Washington State USA
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
djjr7744 13 Nov 2013 10:08PM GMT 
karentracey1 14 Nov 2013 3:15AM GMT 
karentracey1 14 Nov 2013 3:18AM GMT 
djjr7744 15 Nov 2013 4:57PM GMT 
karentracey1 15 Nov 2013 10:19PM GMT 
djjr7744 22 Nov 2013 10:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic