Search for content in message boards

Was There Ever a Town Named Carhue in Tipperary?

Replies: 30

Re: Was There Ever a Town Named Carhue in Tipperary?

patrick Hough (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 2002 10:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Dec 2010 8:18PM GMT
Surnames: O'Meara, Hurley, O'Hurley, O'Kennedy, Hough, Hock
Hi, I have just come upon your query by chance just having arrived baack in England from County Tipperary last night.I can guarantee you that there is a townland called CARHUE not far from the town of NENAGH in North Tipperary and it skirts the shores of Youghal Bay which is part of Lough Derg on the Shannon. Because of the changes in names over the years from Irissh to English and sometimes back again it may help if I give you the following information:-

The townland is actually placed in the parish of MONSEA and is very close to where my grandmother Margaret O'Meara was born.

CARHUE or CARROW (Ceathru/Quarter) An old Irish land measure, one fourth part of a Baile biataigh which itself was approximately 480 Irish Acres. Some old versions give the name as CARHHUEGAR - ceathru gearr/ The narrow quarter. In the seventeenth century part of CARHUE was known as BALLIMONGHAN - Baile Mongain/ The Marshy Place.

The big landowners there in the 17th century were a family called Hurley or O'Hurley but the O'Kennedy's were the old Gaelic Chieftains in the area.

I hope that you may have already been given this information if not I trust this will help you to traack down your family. Please let me know if I can help more.

With kind regards

Patrick Hough (Hock)

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
TerryDivineyBora 4 Jun 2002 12:55AM GMT 
patrick Hough 5 Jun 2002 4:23PM GMT 
TerryDivineyBora 5 Jun 2002 10:09PM GMT 
Jenny Vincent 3 Nov 2003 3:58AM GMT 
TerryDivineyBora 3 Nov 2003 2:35PM GMT 
ryanhorse 11 Nov 2003 9:35PM GMT 
ryanhorse 30 Dec 2003 12:19AM GMT 
TerryBora 10 Jun 2002 10:51PM GMT 
dianne randell 9 Sep 2002 4:41AM GMT 
danryand 31 Oct 2010 12:33PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions