Search for content in message boards

South Tipperary Roots Records

Replies: 8

Re: South Tipperary Roots Records

Posted: 19 May 2011 12:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Greetings. Doing work on the Lyons family in the Kilsheelan, Farranjorden and Ballooby areas. The Roots Ireland is a very helpful data base. What I have found also is blanks or single and double line entries for names. This is an indication that the transcriber(s) could not read the base record aka the micro fiche of the church record. I went to National Library a couple of months ago and did find the hand records BUT the archivist noted "the local priests latinized names, and wrote what they thought should be the name" in short they took a lot of liberty on names. This latin name was really a problem for the folks who created the indexes aka the roots ireland base in particular. If you have a out of the main stream name like in my ggf case of Beere even the base records had 4 different spellings and the index had blanks, errors etc.
Just my frustration learning and hunting on all the records. Also for South Tipperary Riding if RC a lot of the church records at Waterford Heritage which is not one line or in the National Library. Waterford you have to contact, authorize and pre pay for a search but but it did produce a few results.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
canoecox 5 May 2011 4:25PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 12 May 2011 1:09AM GMT 
AnnetteCode 12 May 2011 1:42AM GMT 
rjshea1 13 May 2011 3:38PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 14 May 2011 1:32AM GMT 
rjshea1 14 May 2011 3:13PM GMT 
onegirlfromir... 19 May 2011 6:41PM GMT 
1_martin_phel... 15 Nov 2012 9:51PM GMT 
onegirlfromir... 16 Nov 2012 3:52PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic