Search for content in message boards

Feehan's of Roscrea, Tipperary

Replies: 4

Re: Feehan's of Roscrea, Tipperary

Posted: 7 Apr 2013 6:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello, I am not related to the Feehan clan but I have some information related to the flax industry in Roscrea and how our ancestors paths may have crossed while working in the same industry. I have done extensive research on my ancestor Peter Devlin (flax dresser) who was brought down from the north (probably Banbridge, Co. Down) to set up a flax manufactory at the defunct Birchgrove Distillery about a mile east outside of Roscrea town. From my research, flax production was not a very large part of the Tipperary economy until the 1850s. This imported industry (mainly from Ulster) was suppose to inject a economic stimulus into the famine era economy. In the end, the flax operation did not amount to much although my ancestors stayed at Birchgrove (Roscrea) for the next 45 years. In the 2010 edition of Roscrea People (a local publication), a locale historian discusses the transformation of Birchgrove into a flax operation. This publication can be downloaded as a PDF free of charge. Simply google the information above. Peter Devlin married a Bridget Burk in the early 1850s and had three children - Mary Devlin (1854), Francis Devlin (1855), and John Devlin (1857). In the late 1870s Francis went to Leeds, worked as a gas stoker and road worker, and married a Mary McManus (or Manus). They had three children while in Leeds. The Tipperary Historical Society included in annual publication "From Roscrea to Leeds" about the cluster of Roscrea families living together. You can download the article free of charge. Please email me if you cannot find it. If you suspect your ancestors either had children, died, or married in Leeds you may want to check out rootschat.org. This is a very useful genealogical forum in which researchers volunteer to look up all types of dates and records. Back at Birchgrove Mary Devlin married the son of a local miller, Thomas Hurst. The family immigrated to America and settled in Elizabeth, NJ. John Devlin married a Anna Short and immigrated to Philadelphia in the early 1880s. While in Philadelphia Anna died from childbirth and John returned back to Roscrea. I believe while in Roscrea he made arrangements to marry a Sarah A. Ryan. She eventually came to Philadelphia too along with Frank/Mary Devlin and Peter Devlin. In the Kensington neighborhood of Philadelphia is appears a great many Roscrea people resettled in the area around St. Anne's church. Most worked in the textile mills, ship yards, and other heavy industries in the river wards. While researching Sarah A. Ryan a fellow researcher came across the 1901 Irish Census for house 11, Monincha (Roscrea, Tipperary). Living in that house are Ryans, Shorts, and Feehans (two children - James and Norah). It is very possible that these Feehans may have somehow been connected to your ancestors because of the common trade both were involved in. I thought I saw the Feehans on other documents but I can't seem to find them at this time. Although this is not directly genealogical information it should help you place your ancestor in some historical perspective. If you don't mind me asking - how did you find out your Roscrea ancestor was a flax dresser? Good hunting, Jeff
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
marleneny79 19 May 2011 10:58PM GMT 
DaveBoylan 31 May 2011 1:52PM GMT 
marleneny79 21 Dec 2011 5:27PM GMT 
jackmackk27 24 Mar 2012 10:24PM GMT 
floppyslater 8 Apr 2013 12:14AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions