Search for content in message boards

William Kennedy and Catherine Walthew, Tipperary Ireland

Replies: 16

Re: William Kennedy and Catherine Walthew, Tipperary Ireland

Posted: 14 Jan 2012 2:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Paul,

Thank you for your latest communication.

If you recall from my first posting I found the IFHF baptisms for two of Thomas Morrissey and Margaret Fennell’s children, William (1839), and Elen (2000). I’m not sure what the actual year for Elen’s baptism would be, as her year of baptism was transcribed incorrectly. But the indexes for William and Elen show they were baptized in the Clogheen, Tipperary (South) Catholic Church.

After receiving your very detailed last posting, I revisited this family again at the IFHF website, and found a baptism index I appear to have missed before. This too is for Ellen Morrissey, only the index shows that her baptism took place in the Clogheen, Waterford Catholic Church in 1832. I believe the Clogheen Catholic Church in South Tipperary and the Clogheen Catholic Church in Waterford pertain to the same location, on the border of both counties.

This Ellen would have died before the family left for Ireland, as your records show that Thomas and Margaret had another daughter named Ellen born in Murray River, Victoria, in 1846.

The index for Ellen is below:

1 match for the search criteria: Morrissey (plus variants) Ellen 1832 Parish: CLOGHEEN (RC)
The cost to view the full details of the 1 record that you have not yet viewed is €5.00

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Waterford
Surname: Morrissey
First Name: Ellen
Father's Surname: Morrissey
Father's First Name: Thomas
Mother's Surname: Fennell
Mother's First Name: Margaret

Year: 1832

Parish/District: CLOGHEEN (RC)
____

Whereas Thomas and Margaret were married in 1831, Ellen may have been their first child, though I’m not sure why her baptism was recorded Clogheen, Waterford, and not also in Clogheen, Tipperary South Ridings, as they appear to have been the same parish church.

I encountered a similar occurrence when I looked for the baptism index for Margaret Fennel, as I found an 1814 index for a Margaret Fennell recorded in the Clogheen Catholic Church, Waterford, and an 1815 baptism index for a Margaret Fennell in the Clogheen, Tipperary South Catholic Church.

In the 1814 index, the IFHF search engine accepted Joseph as Margaret’s father, while in the 1815 index, James is recorded as having been her father.

The two indexes are below:

1 match for the search criteria: Fennell (plus variants) Margaret 1814 Parish: CLOGHEEN (RC)
The cost to view the full details of the 1 record that you have not yet viewed is €5.00

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Tipperary (South)
Surname: Fennell
First Name: Margaret
Father's Surname: Fennell
Father's First Name: Joseph
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1814

____

1 match for the search criteria: Fennell (plus variants) Margaret 1815 Parish: CLOGHEEN PARISH (RC)

Surname: Fennell
First Name: Margaret
Father's Surname: Fennell
Father's First Name: James
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1815

____

I also uncovered cross-border baptism indexes for two children named Thomas Morrissey. The first index below shows a Thomas Morrissey baptized in the St. Mary’s Clonmel Catholic Church in 1798. The IFHF search engine accepted James as his father’s first name.

The second index shows a Thomas Morrissey baptized in the Cahir Catholic Church, Waterford, in 1810. The search engine accepted Thomas as his father’s first name. As far as I could determine, there is no Catholic parish in Waterford named Cahir, and so I am guessing that the parents of Thomas in the second index had lived in Waterford, but baptized their son in Tipperary.

The indexes follow:

1 match for the search criteria: Morrissey (plus variants) Thomas 1798 Parish: ST MARY'S PARISH, CLONMEL (RC)

First Name: Thomas
Father's First Name: James
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1798

Parish/District: ST MARY'S PARISH, CLONMEL (RC)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Morrissey (plus variants) Thomas 1810 Parish: CAHIR (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Waterford
First Name: Thomas
Father's First Name: Thomas
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1810

Parish/District: CAHIR (RC)
____

See the Catholic parish map for South Tipperary at:
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/ti...

The Catholic parish map for Waterford can be found at:
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/wa...

Paul, I’m not sure if either of the baptism indexes for Margaret Fennell and Thomas Morrissey pertain to your ancestors. You may want to keep these indexes on the back burner for future reference.

Concerning the Morrisseys, and based on your information, I located what may be the ship’s passenger list for Margaret and her children, plus other Morrisseys arriving at Port Phillip Bay, on the ship England, on 17 July 1841. Thomas is not amongst those on the ship’s list, which was found at Ancestry.com:

Victoria, Australia, Assisted and Unassisted Passenger Lists, 1839–1923

Catherine Morisey abt 1838 17 Jul 1841 Port Phillip Bay, Australia Liverpool England

Mary Morissey abt 1840 17 Jul 1841 Port Phillip Bay, Australia Liverpool England

Cornell Morrissey abt 1805 17 Jul 1841 Port Phillip Bay, Australia Liverpool England Irish

Emma Morrissey abt 1808 17 Jul 1841 Port Phillip Bay, Australia Liverpool England Irish

Mary Morrissey abt 1809 17 Jul 1841 Port Phillip Bay, Australia Liverpool England Irish

Margt Morrissey abt 1813 17 Jul 1841 Port Phillip Bay, Australia Liverpool England Irish

John Morrissey abt 1833 17 Jul 1841 Port Phillip Bay, Australia Liverpool England Irish

Ellen Morrissey abt 1835 17 Jul 1841 Port Phillip Bay, Australia Liverpool England Irish

John Morrissey abt 1836 17 Jul 1841 Port Phillip Bay, Australia Liverpool England Irish
____

The “Cornell” Morrissey on the list may be a reference to a man named Cornelius. Emma may be his wife, or perhaps his sister.

With reference to Hugh Kennedy, and again from information you provided in your last reply, I found the transportation index for 33 year old Hugh Kennedy. The record shows he was transported out of Ireland on the ship Lord Dalhousie, in April of 1852. The record also shows that his wife Jane had petitioned to have his sentence commuted. You may already have this record, but if not I found it at the National Archives of Ireland’s, “Ireland-Australia transportation database,” which can be found at: http://www.nationalarchives.ie/topics/transportation/search0...

The record is below:

Last name: KENNEDY
First name: HUGH
Full name: HUGH KENNEDY
Sex: M
Trial place: Co. Limerick
Imprisonment place: Spike Island, Dublin
Trial date: 10/07/1848
Crime desc: Burglary
Sentence: Transportation 7 yrs
Ship: LORD DALHOUSIE, 00/04/1852
Petitioner: Jane Kennedy
Relationship: Wife
Document ref1: TR 8, p 106
Document ref2: CRF 1851 K18
____

Also concerning Hugh Kennedy, I found a record of him at Ancestry.com’s, “New South Wales and Tasmania, Australia, Convict Pardons and Tickets of Leave, 1834-1859,” database. This record is dated for the 1854-1855 time period, and notes that the time since Hugh’s conviction has been 5 years and 11 months. This record is from Tasmania, though I believe Hugh would have called this place “Van Diemen’s Land.”:

New South Wales and Tasmania, Australia, Convict Pardons and Tickets of Leave, 1834-1859

Name: Hugh Kennedy
Vessel: Lord Dalhousie
Province: Tasmania
Title: Pardons
Year(s): 1854-1855
Place of Conviction: Limerick
Period Since Conviction: 5 11/12

Source Citation: Class: HO 10; Piece: 63.

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. New South Wales and Tasmania, Australia, Convict Pardons and Tickets of Leave, 1834-1859 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2007.

Original data: Home Office: Settlers and Convicts, New South Wales and Tasmania; (The National Archives Microfilm Publication HO10, Pieces 31, 52-64); The National Archives of the UK (TNA), Kew, Surrey, England.
____

More information about the database from Ancestry.com, follows:

About New South Wales and Tasmania, Australia, Convict Pardons and Tickets of Leave, 1834-1859
This database contains convict pardons and tickets of leave from New South Wales and Tasmania, Australia from 1834-1859.

Pardons were generally given to convicts with life sentences and shortened the sentence by granting freedom. There were two types of pardons – conditional and absolute. Conditional pardons required that freed convicts remain in the colony. Absolute pardons allowed freed convicts to return to the U.K.

Tickets of leave allowed convicts to live and work for their own wages wherever they wanted to within a certain Police District. Tickets of leave were generally given to convicts with good behavior. Convicts became eligible for a ticket after a certain amount of their sentence had been served. Generally a convict became eligible after 4 years for a seven year sentence, after 6 years for a fourteen year sentence, and after 8 years for a life sentence. Once a year the convict had to report in at the ticket of leave muster or else the ticket was revoked.

Pardons and tickets of leave contain similar information. Some of the information you can find on these records includes:

• Convict’s name

• Ship of arrival

• Date of arrival

• Birthplace

• Trade or occupation

• Trial/conviction place

• Trial/conviction date

• Physical description

• District to which confined
____

I can see why Hugh and his family may have moved from place to place when they were altogether in Ireland, especially during the Great Famine, ( in Irish “an Gorta Mór”) from 1845-1851. After the famine started it was probably difficult, if not impossible for Hugh to find work, hence, he probably stole the money and the clothes to feed his family and to keep them warm during the winter months.

Paul, the best book I’ve read concerning the Irish Famine is actually authored by an English woman, named Cecil Woodham-Smith, called, “The great hunger: Ireland 1845-1849.” The book was first published in 1962, and has gone through several editions since that time. This is not a very easy book to read, as it shows the terrible hardships our Irish ancestors went through during the famine. In this book you’ll be able to envision what Hugh Kennedy and his family, as well as your other Irish ancestors had experienced, if they lived during this time period, and even after the famine ended, as the famine affected the population of Ireland well into the 20th century.

Also see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_(Ireland)

Thank you again for writing Paul.

Dave
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
paulb1650 12 Aug 2011 10:17AM GMT 
DaveBoylan 4 Jan 2012 11:31PM GMT 
paulb1650 5 Jan 2012 12:03AM GMT 
paulb1650 9 Jan 2012 7:37AM GMT 
DaveBoylan 11 Jan 2012 11:32PM GMT 
paulb1650 13 Jan 2012 1:36PM GMT 
DaveBoylan 14 Jan 2012 9:03PM GMT 
paulb1650 15 Jan 2012 12:29AM GMT 
michaelmjryan 9 Nov 2012 10:59PM GMT 
paulb1650 10 Nov 2012 11:27AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions