Search for content in message boards

William Kennedy and Catherine Walthew, Tipperary Ireland

Replies: 16

Re: William Kennedy and Catherine Walthew, Tipperary Ireland

Posted: 4 Jan 2012 4:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Paul,

I’m not a descendant of the Kennedy and Walthew clans, but I found the baptism indexes for three children of a William Kennedy and a Catherine/Kitty Walthew at the Irish Family History Foundation (IFHF) website for County Tipperary (North). None of the three baptism indexes however, pertain to John or Edward.

The baptisms are for Thomas (1820); Mary (1823); and Judy (1826). The three children were baptized in the Newport Catholic Church.

Before searching for indexes at the IFHF you’ll first need to establish a free account. Indexes are also free to search, but it costs 5 Euros to download individual birth/baptism, marriage, and death or burial transcriptions of the records you are interested in. I’ll have more information a little later about how to pay less than 5 Euros per transcription.

The three indexes are below. You’ll notice that the index for Thomas lists his mother’s first name as “Kitty.” The IFHF search engine would not accept her name Catherine. I had to guess as to the spelling variant of her first name to uncover this index. The name Kitty is probably original to the baptism index, and transcribed as such by the IFHF staff:

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Thomas 1820 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)
The cost to view the full details of the 1 record that you have not yet viewed is €5.00

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Tipperary (North)
Surname: Kennedy
First Name: Thomas
Father's Surname: Kennedy
Father's First Name: William
Mother's Surname: Walthew
Mother's First Name: Kitty

Year: 1820

Parish/District: NEWPORT (RC)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Mary 1823 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)
The cost to view the full details of the 1 record that you have not yet viewed is €5.00

First Name: Mary
Mother's First Name: Catherine

Year: 1823

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Judy 1826 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Judy
Mother's First Name: Catherine

Year: 1826

____

If you order the three baptism transcriptions individually, you would pay 15 Euros. But you can order all three from one index for 12 Euros by accessing the index as you see it below, without including the first names of the children, or their years of birth. Also, don’t include their mother’s first name as it is not spelled the same way (as noted earlier) in one of the three indexes:

3 matches for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Parish: NEWPORT (RC)
The cost to view the full details of the 3 records that you have not yet viewed is €12.00

First Name:
Mother's First Name:

Year:

____

While I didn’t locate the baptism indexes for William and Catherine Walthew Kennedy’s sons John and Edward, the three indexes above may pertain to John and Edward’s parents.

Next I found what I believe to be the 1817 marriage index for William Kennedy and Margaret Walthew in the Newport Catholic Church. However, the search engine would not accept Margaret as the first name of William’s wife. And so, I accessed the indexes using the name Walthew as the primary partner in the marriage. The index came up with the name Mary Walto.

The index looks like this:

Source Surname First Name Year County

Church Marriage Walto Mary 1817 Co. Tipperary
____

What this means is that Mary’s maiden name in the marriage register is spelled Walto, and was transcribed as such by the IFHF staff for Tipperary North. But, because the IFHF utilizes a Soundex-type system for surnames, the alternate spelling of Walthew is also accepted by the search engine.

Concerning her first name, Mary may also be Catherine. It’s possible her middle name was Mary. Or her first and middle names may have been Catherine Mary or Mary Catherine. It’s also possible that the priest or parish clerk wrote her first name as Mary, rather than Catherine in error. But, this is a guess on my part. In any event, I think there’s the possibility Mary is Catherine Walto/Walthew.

The full marriage index is below, again utilizing Mary as the primary marriage partner in the index:

1 match for the search criteria: Walto (plus variants) Mary 1817 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Tipperary (North)
Surname: Walto
Spouse's Surname: Kennedy
Spouse's First Name: William
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1817

Parish/District: Parish: NEWPORT (RC)
____

Paul, I think Walto may be the way folks for Tipperary pronounced Walthew. You can actually see how that might happen, just the way a person from Thurles, Tipperary, may pronounce the place as Turless, or Cloughjordan as Clock-Jordan.

When I did a general search of baptism and marriage indexes at the IFHF search engine for Tipperary (North), for the early 19th century, several Walto surnames turned up. One of the marriage records was for a Jacob Walto, whose marriage was recorded in the Newport Catholic Church in 1795. Marriage indexes don’t automatically provide you with the first and last names of the marriage partner. You either have to know their names, find their names through additional research, guess as to what their names are, or buy the transcription to find out. The marriage index for Jacob Walto, minus his wife’s name, is below:

1 match for the search criteria: Walto (plus variants) Jacob 1795 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Jacob
Spouse's Surname:
Spouse's First Name:
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1795

____

Next, I tried to guess as to the first name of Jacob’s wife. Starting with women’s first names beginning with the letter A, and son through the alphabet, I finally worked my way down to the letter W. The search engine accepted her first name as Winifred. The revised marriage index for Jacob Walto and Winifred is below:

Spouse's Surname:
Spouse's First Name: Winifred
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

____

Now I wanted to know what Winifred’s maiden name was. There’s really no way to guess at this as there are too many Irish names to choose from.

I then accessed Griffiths valuation for Newport, Tipperary North, to see what surnames were listed in the town, which was located in the Civil Parish of Killvelane. I did this because I figured there would still be people living in or around Newport who may have shared the same last name as Winifred, and who may have actually been related to her.

The valuation for Newport was completed by 1848

On the first of several pages of Griffiths Valuation, the last and first names below were recorded in Newport:

RYAN MICHAEL TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT DALY CHARLES TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT SHEA WILLIAM TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT BRADSHAW THOMAS TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPOR
BARRETT ANNE TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT
CULLEN JOHN TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT
CAREY LANGERT TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT

CHURCH AND YARD TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT
SHEA WILLIAM TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT
WALLER WILLIAM TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT
RYAN MICHAEL TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT
COFFEY MICHAEL CULLEN JOHN TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT
SHEA WILLIAM TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT
FITZGERALD JOHN TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT
COFFEY MICHAEL TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT
COFFEY MICHAEL TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT
RYAN MICHAEL TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT
HANRAHAN MARY HICKEY JOHN TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT
KENNEDY PATRICK TIPPERARY, NORTH RIDING KILVELLANE NEWPORT HICKEY JOHN
____

I went back to the IFHF search engine and tried each of the surnames found in Griffiths Valuation above, and typed each into the Spouse’s Surname box for Winifred. After going through a little over half the names, the search engine accepted Winifred’s maiden name, Fitzgerald.

The second revised marriage index follows, reflecting the first and maiden names of Jacob Walto’s wife, Winifred Fitzgerald:

Spouse's Surname: Fitzgerald
Spouse's First Name: Winifred
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

____

With the information above I next looked for IFHF baptism indexes of any children of Jacob Walto and Winifred Fitzgerald. The indexes revealed three names. These are the baptisms for Michael (1797); Catherine (1798); and Edmund (1803). The Catherine in the baptism index may be the future wife of John Kennedy, but that’s just a guess on my part.

The indexes are below:

1 match for the search criteria: Walto (plus variants) Michael 1797 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Michael
Father's Surname: Walto
Father's First Name: Jacob
Mother's Surname: Fitzgerald
Mother's First Name: Winifred

Year: 1797

____

1 match for the search criteria: Walto (plus variants) Catherine 1798 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Catherine

Year: 1798

____

1 match for the search criteria: Walto (plus variants) Edmund 1803 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Edmund

Year: 1803

____

To order the three baptism transcriptions for the reduced cost of 12 Euros, access the index for the Walto children just as you see it below, without the first names of the children or their years of birth:

3 matches for the search criteria: Walto (plus variants) Parish: NEWPORT (RC)
The cost to view the full details of the 3 records that you have not yet viewed is €12.00

First Name:

Year:

____

THE SHEEDY/RYAN CONNECTION

Next I looked for the IFHF marriage index of Anne Sheedy’s parents, John Sheedy and Mary Ryan, but didn’t find it. But I did find the baptism indexes for seven of their children, all baptized in the Newport Catholic Church. None of the indexes is for Anne, however.

The children include Michael (1813); Bridget (1816); John (1819); Judy (1822); Mary (1825); Nancy (1829); and another daughter named Nancy (1831). I’m wondering if the Nancy born in 1831 could be your Anne. That there are two baptism indexes for children named Anne, means the first-born child named Anne had died:

The indexes are below:

1 match for the search criteria: Sheedy (plus variants) Michael 1813 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

Surname: Sheedy
Father's Surname: Sheedy
Father's First Name: John
Mother's Surname: Ryan
Mother's First Name: Mary

Year: 1813

____

1 match for the search criteria: Sheedy (plus variants) Bridget 1816 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Bridget

Year: 1816

____

1 match for the search criteria: Sheedy (plus variants) John 1819 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: John

Year: 1819

____

1 match for the search criteria: Sheedy (plus variants) Judy 1822 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Judy

Year: 1822

____

1 match for the search criteria: Sheedy (plus variants) Mary 1825 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

Year: 1825

____

1 match for the search criteria: Sheedy (plus variants) Nancy 1829 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Nancy

Year: 1829

____

1 match for the search criteria: Sheedy (plus variants) Nancy 1831 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Nancy

Year: 1831

____

You can order the seven baptism transcriptions for the children of John Sheedy and Mary Ryan by accessing the following index, without adding the first names of the children or their years of birth:

7 matches for the search criteria: Sheedy (plus variants) Parish: NEWPORT (RC)
The cost to view the full details of the 7 records that you have not yet viewed is €20.00

First Name:

Year:

____

KENNEDY AND SHEEDY

In your message to Ancestry.com you noted that Rody Kennedy’s parents were John Kennedy and Margaret Shedy.

I located an IFHF marriage index for John and Margaret, showing they were married in the Borrisokane Catholic Church in 1832.

The index is below:

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) John 1832 Parish: BORRISOKANE (RC)

Spouse's Surname: Sheedy
Spouse's First Name: Margaret
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1832

Parish/District: Parish: BORRISOKANE (RC)
____

I also found the baptism indexes for three children of John Kennedy and Margaret Sheedy. I didn’t locate the baptism index for Rody, however. The three children are Mary (1833); Anne (1840); and John (1845). The children were baptized in the Cloughjordan Catholic Church:

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Mary 1833 Parish: CLOUGHJORDAN (RC)

Mother's Surname: Sheedy
Mother's First Name: Margaret

Year: 1833

Parish/District: CLOUGHJORDAN (RC)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Anne 1840 Parish: CLOUGHJORDAN (RC)

First Name: Anne

Year: 1840

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) John 1845 Parish: CLOUGHJORDAN (RC)

Year: 1845

____

The index to order the three baptism transcriptions for the children of John Kennedy and Margaret Sheedy is below:

3 matches for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants)

First Name:

Year:

____

THE KENNEDY/ CORBET FAMILY

Your information shows that Edward Kennedy’s parents were John Kennedy and Margaret Corbet. I located their marriage index at the IFHF website, showing they were married in the Kilcommon, Tipperary, Catholic Church in 1829.

The index is below:

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Andrew 1829 Parish: KILCOMMON (RC)

Spouse's Surname: Corbet
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Parish/District: Parish: KILCOMMON (RC)
____

I also found 10 baptism indexes for the children of John Kennedy and Margaret Corbet, all baptized in the Newport Catholic Church. These children include: Ellen (1829); Mary (1831); Mary (1832); Andrew (1834); Joanna (1836); Margaret (1838); Edward (1840); Michael (1843); William (1845); and Jeremiah (1847).

The Edward Kennedy born in 1840, may be the same Edward you mentioned in your message to Ancestry.com.

The 10 indexes follow:

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Ellen 1829 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Ellen
Father's First Name: Andrew
Mother's Surname: Corbet

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Mary 1831 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kenedy (plus variants) Mary 1832 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

Surname: Kenedy
Father's Surname: Kenedy

Year: 1832

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Andrew 1834 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Andrew

Year: 1834

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Joanna 1836 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Joanna

Year: 1836

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kenedy (plus variants) Margaret 1838 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Margaret

Year: 1838

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Edward 1840 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Edward

Year: 1840

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kenedy (plus variants) Michael 1843 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

Year: 1843

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) William 1845 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: William

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Jeremiah 1847 Parish: NEWPORT (RC)

First Name: Jeremiah

Year: 1847

____

You can order the 10 baptism Kennedy baptism transcriptions for 20 Euros by accessing the index below:

10 matches for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Parish: NEWPORT (RC)
The cost to view the full details of the 10 records that you have not yet viewed is €20.00

First Name:

Year:

____

MORRISSEY/FENNELL

Next is the IFHF marriage index for Thomas Morrissey and Margaret Fennell. The index shows they were married in the Clogheen, Tipperary, Catholic Church in1831. Clogheen is in the Tipperary (South) Ridings, rather than the Tipperary (North) Ridings. All of the previous indexes are from the North Ridings of Tipperary:

1 match for the search criteria: Morrissey (plus variants) Thomas 1831 Parish: CLOGHEEN PARISH (RC)

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Tipperary (South)
Surname: Morrissey
First Name: Thomas
Spouse's Surname: Fennell
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Parish/District: Parish: CLOGHEEN PARISH (RC)
____

I also found the baptism indexes for two of Thomas and Margaret’s children. These are William (1839) and Elen. In searching for Elen’s index, the IFHF search engine didn’t accept any individual baptism year in the 1800s or even in the 1900s. After submitting various years into the search engine, it finally accepted the year 2000, probably a key-stroke error made by the person who transcribed the record for the IFHF.

This Elen may refer to Edward Kennedy’s future wife.

The index for William shows he was baptized in the Cahir (pronounced “Care”) Roman Catholic Church, while Elen was baptized in the Clogheen Catholic Church, where her parents were married

1 match for the search criteria: Morrissey (plus variants) William 1839 Parish: CAHIR PARISH (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Tipperary (South)
First Name: William
Father's Surname: Morrissey
Father's First Name: Thomas
Mother's Surname: Fennell

Year: 1839

Parish/District: CAHIR PARISH (RC)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Morrissey (plus variants) Elen 2000 Parish: CLOGHEEN PARISH (RC)

First Name: Elen

Year: 2000

Parish/District: CLOGHEEN PARISH (RC)
____

To order the two baptism transcriptions for 8 Euros, don’t include the first names of the children, their years of birth, or the name of the parish where they were baptized:

2 matches for the search criteria: Morrissey (plus variants)
The cost to view the full details of the 2 records that you have not yet viewed is €8.00

First Name:

Year:

Parish/District:
____

HUGH KENNEDY AND JANE FOX

Thus far the IFHF for County Limerick doesn’t allow an Advanced Search for a husband and wife combination in the marriage indexes, but only provides marriage indexes for individuals, not their spouses. But, because the Doon Civil Parish as well as Catholic Church parish of Doon is co-existent in both Limerick and Tipperary (North), I wondered if there may perhaps be a marriage index for Hugh and Jane in Tipperary. I didn’t find a marriage index for them, but did uncover a baptism index for their daughter Mary, who was baptized in the Kilcommon Catholic Church in 1841.

The index follows:

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Mary 1841 Parish: KILCOMMON (RC)

Father's First Name: Hugh
Mother's Surname: Fox
Mother's First Name: Jane

Year: 1841

Parish/District: KILCOMMON (RC)
____

If you look at a Catholic parish map of Tipperary, you can see where Doon is located in the southwest portion of the county. You can also see its geographical association with the surrounding parishes, where many of your ancestors had attended church, including Newport, and working your way north, Nenagh, Cloughjordan, and Borrisokane.

To view a Catholic parish map of Tipperary North, go to the Irish Times newspaper website link at:
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/ti...

I next went back to County Limerick to see if I could find any children of Andrew Kennedy who were baptized in the Doon Catholic parish for that county. Because the Advanced Search option is not available for Limerick, the search engine doesn’t include spaces for the mother’s maiden or first names.

But, I did find two baptisms for sons of High Kennedy, registered in the Doon Catholic Church. These are for Andrew (1843) and Jeremiah (1845):

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Andrew 1843 Parish: DOON (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Limerick
First Name: Andrew

Year: 1843

Parish/District: DOON (RC)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Kennedy (plus variants) Jeremiah 1845 Parish: DOON (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Limerick
First Name: Jeremiah

Parish/District: DOON (RC)
____

I believe you would have to order the birth indexes for Andrew and Jeremiah separately.

I didn’t find information about Margaret Halloran or her parents William Halloran and Mary Malony. The IFHF has not transcribed any records to date for County Clare. I also looked for information about the Hallorans in Tipperary, but without success, and searched for them at the Latter Day Saints (LDS) website but didn’t find information about them at that site either.

Paul, I can’t really be sure how many of the above indexes pertain to the Irish families of your ancestors. The indexes were located based on the names you supplied in your message to Ancestry.com. You’ll probably know, just by looking at the indexes, if they are your line or not.

If you haven’t used the IFHF website before, you may have to experiment with it, as I find it challenging at best.

Cheers,

Dave Boylan
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
paulb1650 12 Aug 2011 10:17AM GMT 
DaveBoylan 4 Jan 2012 11:31PM GMT 
paulb1650 5 Jan 2012 12:03AM GMT 
paulb1650 9 Jan 2012 7:37AM GMT 
DaveBoylan 11 Jan 2012 11:32PM GMT 
paulb1650 13 Jan 2012 1:36PM GMT 
DaveBoylan 14 Jan 2012 9:03PM GMT 
paulb1650 15 Jan 2012 12:29AM GMT 
michaelmjryan 9 Nov 2012 10:59PM GMT 
paulb1650 10 Nov 2012 11:27AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions