Search for content in message boards

Kennedy, in Borrisokane, Tipperary

Replies: 20

Re: Kennedy, in Borrisokane, Tipperary

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 9:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kennedy
We did not find any new information except verification of where they all lived. We saw the family (Carrolls) in the graveyard at Loorha and our Stanleys in the Aglish village graveyard (Borrisokane). My great great grandfather died in Ballyquirke in Borrisokane. We could not find the house as it's a townland area not a village--out in the country where most of the populace was. It was all very moving. In the tiny village of Loorha there are two ancient priories with graveyards. The ruins are beautiful Gothic abbeys. Nearby is a Kennedy Castle, Redwood or Caslain Rua in the Irish. This is located north of Borrisokane in the Loorha Parish. This area was the Kennedy chieftains territory in the old days. Our Carrolls were also chieftains but from further east where they had been pushed out of their terrioty and numerous castles. It is a beautiful but still very remote area with narrow and sometimes dangerous roads--almost had a head on with someone passing on a curve. However it's worth a visit. Stay in Terryglass a beautiful old village on the Shannon.

I have also done research in Dublin. If you know the village or church there are records and lovely people who will direct your research into them. All free at the Public Records of Ireland located in the center of Dublin.

I was given the name of a researcher in the Tipperary area by a women in the church office at the RC church in Birr. I'll dig it out if you want it. I thought I'd use her for these elusive ancestors that I cannot seem to find.

Well, I hope this all helps a bit on your search. Mary Jo

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
streitca 7 Apr 2007 5:18PM GMT 
KENNEDYP11 7 Oct 2011 1:33PM GMT 
JoO45 23 Oct 2011 4:26PM GMT 
streitca 25 Mar 2012 11:29PM GMT 
StephenDWalte... 23 Mar 2012 4:20PM GMT 
JoO45 25 Mar 2012 10:35PM GMT 
JC091 9 Apr 2012 4:10PM GMT 
sgp1956 8 Jan 2013 4:15AM GMT 
JoO45 9 Jan 2013 4:18PM GMT 
sgp1956 9 Jan 2013 9:00PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions