Search for content in message boards

Darcy Family Nenagh Tipperary

Replies: 13

Re: Darcy Family Nenagh Tipperary

Posted: 2 Jan 2012 6:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Dave, I purchased the baptism certificates, not all of them listed the town of residence. Honoras did list "Youghal". (Which I believe is now in County Cork rather than Tipperary, is this correct?) Also a Gleeson couple were sponsors for one of the childrens baptism and a Darcy was a sponsor on another, otherwise it appears to be whoever was at the church that day was a sponsor. I did a quick google search of the various priests who had baptised the children and I came across a story of the Rev Kenny, together with another priest, who under military protection unbarricaded a Nenagh church amidst much jeering and hostility.I believe that occured in the 1840s.

There is an immigration index for Tipperary, TIPPEM 1 and on that I found a Margaret Darcy from Youghal, parents John A and Mary, both dead, who emigrated to Australia aboard the ship Ida in 1864. Her two brothers Michael and Thomas had already emigrated. She was 22 years of age and a general servent. I was unable to find a baptismal certificate for her though. And Michael wasnt one of the names from your original search so its possible its another family. Thank you again for your assistance. I will keep trying to find more about the Darcy family and I am really looking forward to visiting Nenagh in the future!
Kindest regards
Kate
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
katewhite6 21 Dec 2011 6:10AM GMT 
DaveBoylan 1 Jan 2012 7:18PM GMT 
katewhite6 2 Jan 2012 7:22AM GMT 
DaveBoylan 2 Jan 2012 8:54PM GMT 
katewhite6 3 Jan 2012 1:11AM GMT 
DaveBoylan 3 Jan 2012 4:28AM GMT 
johnfkelly11 15 Jan 2012 7:20PM GMT 
Carmelgenealo... 5 May 2012 10:00PM GMT 
katewhite6 8 Jan 2013 4:15AM GMT