Search for content in message boards

Darcy Family Nenagh Tipperary

Replies: 13

Re: Darcy Family Nenagh Tipperary

Posted: 2 Jan 2012 1:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Jan 2012 1:55PM GMT
You're welcome Kate. I really appreciate your writing back so quickly.

Birth, marriage, and death certs for all religious denominations, from the year 1864 forward, are available from the General Register Office (GRO) in Roscommon Town, County Roscommon. But, death certificates won't include the names of the parents, but will tell you who reported the death to the local registrar. The GRO home page can be found at: www.groireland.ie/

Death certs also do not generally tell you a lady’s maiden name either, unfortunately.

The last child born to John Darcy and Mary Gleeson, was Patrick. The IFHF index shows he was baptized in the Youghalarra Catholic Church in 1849. With the year 1849 as a starting point, I looked for the death index of a John Darcy at the IFHF website. Very few Catholic churches in Ireland have burial records for the 19th century, but because Youghalarra was situated very close to Nenagh, I looked for the death index registered in Nenagh. I found only one death index for the years from 1849 to 1920 for a John Darcy registered in Nenagh. This death took place in 1866. But there is no way of telling if this is your John Darcy from the index alone:

1 match for the search criteria: Darcy (plus variants) John 1866 Parish: NENAGH (CR)
Civil Death Darcy John 1866 Co. Tipperary

Record Type: Burial/DEath Records for Co. Tipperary (South)
Surname: Darcy
First Name: John

Year: 1866

Parish/District: NENAGH (CR)
____

For the same time period I located four death indexes for a Mary Darcy, registered in the Nenagh Civil Parish, but like the index for John, there’s no way of knowing from the indexes alone, which, if any of the Mary Darcys is your ancestor. As noted earlier, the death transcriptions will not provide you with her maiden name:

Civil Death Darcy Mary 1864 Co. Tipperary

Civil Death Darcy Mary 1891 Co. Tipperary

Civil Death Darcy Mary 1895 Co. Tipperary

Civil Death Darcy Mary 1890 Co. Tipperary
____

Kate, if you learn anything new about your ancestors, please drop a line. I’d be interested in learning what you found.

I also hope that you can make the long journey to Nenagh someday to see the places that your ancestors were familiar with.

Happy New Year.

Cheers,

Dave
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
katewhite6 21 Dec 2011 6:10AM GMT 
DaveBoylan 1 Jan 2012 7:18PM GMT 
katewhite6 2 Jan 2012 7:22AM GMT 
DaveBoylan 2 Jan 2012 8:54PM GMT 
katewhite6 3 Jan 2012 1:11AM GMT 
DaveBoylan 3 Jan 2012 4:28AM GMT 
johnfkelly11 15 Jan 2012 7:20PM GMT 
Carmelgenealo... 5 May 2012 10:00PM GMT