Search for content in message boards

Terryglass - Timothy Collins

Replies: 6

Re: Terryglass - Timothy Collins

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 5:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Peter,

I’m not related, but I located information about your Carroll, Heffernan, and Galvin ancestors that I believe you want confirmed. Some of this information you will already have, but some you may not.

For example I found the marriage index for your Timothy Collins and Mary Galvin at the Irish Family History Foundation (IFHF) website for County Offaly, formerly known as Kings County when Timothy and Mary were married there. The index shows that the couple were married in Ferbane, Offaly in the year 1896. This is a Civil Parish index rather than a church index. Ferbane in 1896 was partly in the Civil Parish of Gallen and partly in the Civil Parish known as Wheery or Killagally.

Civil marriages from this time period traditionally include the names of the fathers and the groom and bride, but not the names of the mothers. However, IFHF marriage indexes do not automatically include the names of the fathers. You either have to know who the fathers were, or find out who they were through further research, or guess their first names. The other option would be to purchase the marriage transcription to find out who they were. I located the fathers of Timothy and Mary through guess-work. The IFHF accepted Timothy as Timothy’s father, and John as Mary’s father.

The IFHF website can be found at: http://www.rootsireland.ie/

Before accessing indexes at the IFHF you’ll first have to register. Registration is free. You’ll also be able to access the indexes that I did for free, but you will be charged to obtain marriage, as well as baptism and birth transcriptions. You’ll have to purchase credits with a credit card to obtain the transcriptions. The IFHF website will have more information about purchasing credits for baptism, as well as birth, marriage, and death or burial transcriptions.

The marriage index with Timothy Collins as the primary marriage partner, is below:

1 match for the search criteria: Collins (plus variants) Timothy 1896 Parish: FERBANE (CP)

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Offaly
Surname: Collins
First Name: Timothy
Spouse's Surname: Galvin
Spouse's First Name: Mary
Father's Surname: Collins
Father's First Name: Timothy
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1896

Parish/District: Parish: FERBANE (CP)
____

Next is the marriage index with Mary Galvin as the primary partner, showing that her father was John Galvin:

1 match for the search criteria: Galvin (plus variants) Mary 1896 Parish: FERBANE (CP)

Surname: Galvin
First Name: Mary
Spouse's Surname: Collins
Spouse's First Name: Timothy
Father's Surname: Galvin
Father's First Name: John
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Parish/District: Parish: FERBANE (CP)
____

I then found the IFHF church baptism indexes for three children of Timothy Collins and Mary Galvin. Birth indexes do not automatically include the names of the children or the parents. I knew who the parents were from your posting to Ancestry.com, but not the names of any of the children that Timothy and Mary had. I guessed at their names

The children of Timothy Collins and Mary Gavin that I found are Mary (1896); and twins Patrick and John (1898). The three children were baptized in the Ferbane Catholic Church, Offaly, or Kings County:

1 match for the search criteria: Collins (plus variants) Mary 1896 Parish: FERBANE (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Offaly
Mother's Surname: Galvin
Mother's First Name: Mary

Parish/District: FERBANE (RC)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Collins (plus variants) Patrick 1898 Parish: FERBANE (RC)

First Name: Patrick

Year: 1898

____

1 match for the search criteria: Collins (plus variants) John 1898 Parish: FERBANE (RC)

First Name: John

Year: 1898

____

To view a Catholic parish map of County Offaly (Kings County) from the Irish Times genealogy website, go to:
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/of...

The Ferbane Catholic parish is located in the north-west portion of the county, on the border with County Galway, though you’ll see the Parish is not far from the border with North Tipperary. Timothy Collins and his family may have lived in Ferbane, or may have lived in one of the surrounding townlands. If you order the baptism indexes for the three Collins children, see if the family’s residence was noted by the parish priest.

To view Ferbane on a Google Map go to: http://tinyurl.com/9frrqzj

Once at the map zoom-in just a bit to delineate the streets and landmarks of the town more clearly. After zooming-in you’ll notice near the town center, the street called Chapel Lane. You’ll see that the Church of the Immaculate Conception is located on Chapel Lane. This is a Catholic Church. The three Collins children were likely baptized in this church.

Also on the Google Map you’ll see the Letter A pointing to Ferbane. Left-click on the letter A to generate a “Street view” thumbnail photo of the town. Click on the photo to enlarge it and you’ll be able to take a tour of Ferbane, navigating the streets with your mouse and pointer. You’ll be able to travel to Chapel Lane to see the Church of the Immaculate Conception.

Next I looked for the Collins family in Kings County (County Offaly) in the 1901 census, but didn’t find them. I also looked for them in County Tipperary, but again without success. I expanded the search for the family and did finally locate them in an address of House no. 12, Killaloe, County Clare. Killaloe is situated in eastern Clare, and is separated from County Tipperary by the River Shannon. My Tipperary cousins pronounce Killaloe as “Killaloo.” Just across the Sahnnon in Tipperary is the town of Ballina.

The 1901 census shows that “Tim” Collins is a 28 year old labourer born in County Tipperary. The census also shows he can read and write and speak English, and that he is married and a Roman Catholic. His family are also listed as Roman Catholic. His wife is 26 year old Mary, born in Kings County. She too can read, write, and speak English.

The children in the household are 4 year old Mary Ellen, born in Kings County. She is listed as a scholar who cannot read, but who can speak English. Next are the twins, 3 year old Patt and John, born in Kings County. The youngest child in the household is 1 year old Tim, born in Killaloe, County Clare.

The census is from the National Archives of Ireland website link at: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

The census is below:

1901 Census of Ireland

Residents of a house 12 in The Green (Killaloe, Clare)

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language
Marital Status Specified Illnesses

Collins Tim 28 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Tipperary Labourer Read and write English Married
Collins Mary 26 Female Wife Roman Catholic Kings Co Read and write English Married
Collins Mary Ellen 4 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Kings Co Scholar Cannot read English Not Married
Collins Patt 3 Male Son Roman Catholic Kings Co Cannot read English Not Married
Collins John 3 Male Son Roman Catholic Kings Co Cannot read English Not Married
Collins Tim 1 Male Son Roman Catholic Killaloe, Co Clare Cannot read Not Married
____

To view a copy of the original 1901 census for the Collins family, go to the National Archives of Ireland website link at:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000485051/

I didn’t look for 1 year old Tim Collins’s birth or baptism record at the IFHF website, as the IFHF had not indexed or transcribed records for County Clare to date. If you are interested in obtaining the birth record for Tim Collins, you can do so, as the General Register Office (GRO) in Roscommon Town, County Roscommon, will have his birth record. Go to the GRO website for more information about ordering the birth records and the fees involved. The website can be found at: http://www.groireland.ie/

I next came across the family of Timothy and Mary Collins in the 1911 census, which shows they are living in an address of 19 Stanley Grove, Eccles, Lancashire, England. There are 8 children in the household, though the census notes that in the 15 years that Timothy and Mary have been married, they had a total of 11 children, and that the 11 children were still alive as of 1911. The census shows that 38 year old Timothy, of Tipperary, Ireland, was a shipyard labourer for the Canal Co. The census also shows that Timothy’s wife, 34 year old Mary, was born in Kings County.

The twins, 12 year old John and Patrick are shown to be in school, and also working as errand boys. They were born in Kings County. The next child listed, 7 year old William, was born in Eccles. He is followed by 2 year old Thomas, also born in Eccles, and 9 year old Bridget, who was born in County Clare, Ireland. The three remaining children in the household, all born in Eccles, are 5 year old Kathleen, 3 year old Josephine, and 4 month old Tressa Elizabeth.

The Collins’s son Timothy, who was born in Killaloe, Clare, is not in the household. The census transcription below is from Ancestry.com:

1911 England Census

Civil parish: Eccles
County/Island: Lancashire

Street Address: 19 Stanley Grove, Eccles

Registration district: Barton upon Irwell
Registration District Number: 463
Sub-registration district: Barton
ED, institution, or vessel: 10
Piece: 23593

Name, Relation, Age, Sex, Marital Status, Number years married, Number children born, Number children living, Number children who have died, Occupation, Industry, Employer/Worker/Own Account,
Birthplace, Nationality

Timothy Collins, Head, Male, 38, Married, Shipyard Labourer, Ship Canal Co., Worker, Tipperary Ireland, British Sub
Mary Collins, Wife, Female, 34, Married, 15, 11, 11, 0, Kings Co. Ireland
John Collins, Son, Male, 12, School, Grocers errand boy, Kings Co. Ireland
Patrick Collins, Son, Male, 12, School, Grocers errand boy, Kings Co. Ireland
William Collins, Son, Male, 7, Eccles Lancs
Thomas Collins, Son, Male, 2, Eccles Lancs
Bridget Collins, Daughter, Female, 9, Co. Clare Ire
Kathleen Collins, Daughter, Female, 5, Eccles Lancs
Josephine Collins, Daughter, Female, 3, Eccles Lancs
Tressa El. Collins, Daughter, Female, 4 months, Eccles Lancs

Source Citation: Class: RG14; Piece: 23593
____

I’ve also attached a copy of the original 1911 census for the Collins family to this email, in case you hadn’t seen it before.

Next I wanted to see if could find the Lancashire civil birth indexes for the children of Timothy and Mary Collins. I looked for these indexes at the FreeBMD website at: http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

The indexes at FreeBMD were transcribed from records held by the GRO in Southport. Also, birth indexes before 1911 do not contain information about the maiden name of the child’s mother. Indexes beginning in 1911 however, do list the maiden name of the mother.

The birth indexes for children of Timothy and Mary Collins before 1911 are guesstimates on my part, but are based on the names of the children found in the 1911 census above. Indexes from 1911 give the maiden name of the children’s mother. The birth indexes from 1911 onward for the Collins children that I uncovered show their mother’s maiden name was Galvin.

All the indexes show that the births of the Collins’ children were recorded in the Barton upon Irwell, Lancashire, Registration District.

The first index below is for Catherine Winifred Collins. Her birth was recorded in Barton in the December quarter of 1905, and can be found in Volume 8c, Page 602 of the GRO registers:

Births December Quarter 1905

Collins Catherine Winifred

Registration District: Barton I.

Volume: 8c

Page: 602
____

Next are the birth indexes for Josephine Margaret Collins (1907); Thomas Francis T. Collins (1909); and Teresa E. Collins (1910):

Births December Quarter 1907

Collins Josephine Margaret

Page: 629
____

Births March Quarter 1909

Collins Thomas Francis T

Page: 661
____

Births December Quarter 1910

Collins Teresa E

Page: 608
____

The following are the birth indexes for Collins children born after the 1911 census was enumerated. These children are Ellen V. Collins (1911); James B. Collins (1913); and Evelyn H E Collins (1915). The indexes for these children show their mother’s maiden name was Galvin:

Births December Quarter 1911

Collins Eileen V

Mother's Maiden Name: Galvin

Page: 1171
____

Births December Quarter 1913

Collins James B

Page: 1161
____

Births September Quarter 1915

Collins Evelyn H E

Page: 1019
____

You can order the birth records for the Collins children online from the GRO. For information and costs go to the GRO website at: https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

I then found what may be the death index for Timothy Collins ( husband of Ellen). The index shows that Timothy’s death was recorded in the Barton District for the September quarter of 1952. His age at death was 80:

Deaths September Quarter 1952

Collins Timothy

Registration District: Barton

Volume: 10b

Page: 212
____

If you order Timothy’s death record see who is listed as the informant who reported his death to the local registrar, as the informant could be his wife (if Ellen had still been living in 1852), or one of his children.

I didn’t uncover a death index for Ellen Collins recorded in the Barton district.

Next I went back to Irish records to see if I could find the IFHF marriage index for Timothy’s parents, Timothy Collins and Ellen Heffernan, so that I could confirm the 1862 marriage year you have for them. I found the index showing that you were correct in that they were married in 1862. The index also shows they were married in the Terryglass Roman Catholic Church, Tipperary (North):

1 match for the search criteria: Collins (plus variants) Timothy 1862 Parish: TERRYGLASS (RC)

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Tipperary (North)
Spouse's Surname: Heffernan
Spouse's First Name: Ellen
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1862

Parish/District: Parish: TERRYGLASS (RC)
____

After finding the marriage index I then looked for the birth and or baptism indexes of the children of Timothy and Ellen, including their son Timothy. I found eight indexes for their children at the IFHF website for Tipperary (North).

These children include Michael (1862); Bridget (1864); Catherine ( 1866); William (1868); Patrick (1870); Timothy (1872); John (1874); and Cornelius (1878).

There are two indexes each for all the children except for Michael and Bridget. Michael and Bridget only have baptism indexes, while the remaining six children have birth as well as baptism indexes. Civil registration of births, as well as marriages and deaths in Ireland for all religious denominations, commenced in the year 1864.

The baptisms for all eight Collins children took place in the Terryglass Catholic Church, while the births for the younger six Collins children were Terryglass Civil Registration (CR) births. You’ll see that the baptism index for Cornelius uses the abbreviation “Con,” for his first name.

The indexes follow:

1 match for the search criteria: Collins (plus variants) Michael 1862 Parish: TERRYGLASS (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Tipperary (North)
First Name: Michael
Mother's Surname: Heffernan
Mother's First Name: Ellen

Year: 1862

Parish/District: TERRYGLASS (RC)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Collins (plus variants) Bridget 1864 Parish: TERRYGLASS (RC)

First Name: Bridget

Year: 1864

____

1 match for the search criteria: Collins (plus variants) Catherine 1866 Parish: TERRYGLASS (CR)

First Name: Catherine

Year: 1866

Parish/District: TERRYGLASS (CR)

AND

1 match for the search criteria: Collins (plus variants) Catherine 1866 Parish: TERRYGLASS (RC)

First Name: Catherine

Year: 1866

____

1 match for the search criteria: Collins (plus variants) William 1868 Parish: TERRYGLASS (CR)

First Name: William

Year: 1868

AND

1 match for the search criteria: Collins (plus variants) William 1868 Parish: TERRYGLASS (RC)

First Name: William

____

1 match for the search criteria: Collins (plus variants) Patrick 1870 Parish: TERRYGLASS (CR)

Year: 1870

AND

1 match for the search criteria: Collins (plus variants) Patrick 1870 Parish: TERRYGLASS (RC)

Year: 1870

____

1 match for the search criteria: Collins (plus variants) Timothy 1872 Parish: TERRYGLASS (CR)

Year: 1872

AND

1 match for the search criteria: Collins (plus variants) Timothy 1872 Parish: TERRYGLASS (RC)

Year: 1872

____

1 match for the search criteria: Collins (plus variants) John 1874 Parish: TERRYGLASS (CR)

Year: 1874

AND

1 match for the search criteria: Collins (plus variants) John 1874 Parish: TERRYGLASS (RC)

Year: 1874

____

1 match for the search criteria: Collins (plus variants) Cornelius 1878 Parish: TERRYGLASS (CR)

First Name: Cornelius

Year: 1878

AND

1 match for the search criteria: Collins (plus variants) Con 1878 Parish: TERRYGLASS (RC)

First Name: Con

Year: 1878

____

Altogether there are 14 indexes for the Collins children. The advantage of ordering the birth transcriptions is that these may give an address of residence for the Collins family for the years in which the children were born. The advantage of ordering the baptism transcriptions is that they should provide you with the names of the sponsors or godparents of the children. The sponsors or godparents may be relatives of Timothy and Ellen

You can order the transcriptions individually, or you can order them from one index. To order from one index do not include the first names of the children. Instead of a first name in the search engine, use the % sign as a wild card. Also do not include a Parish/District where the births and baptisms took place, or a year of birth or baptism. The search engine will look like this:

8 matches for the search criteria: Collins (plus variants) % Parish: TERRYGLASS (RC)

First Name: %

Year:

Parish/District:
____

I then wanted to see if I could find Terryglass baptism indexes for Timothy Collins and Ellen Heffernan. I figured that if they had been married in 1862, they would have been born some 20 years earlier, give or take a few years to account for their having been married in their late teens, or mid-twenties.

I didn’t find an IFHF baptism index for Timothy Collins in the Terryglass Catholic Church for the 1840s or mid to late 1830s. He may have been baptized in a nearby parish, though without knowing his father’s first name and mother’s first and maiden names, I wouldn’t know if I had located the Timothy Collins in your genealogy.

But, I did find a Terryglass Catholic baptism index for an Ellen Heffernan, showing her baptism took place in 1844. I guessed that her father’s first name was Michael and mother’s first name was Bridget. The search engine accepted these first names for her parents:

1 match for the search criteria: Heffernan (plus variants) Ellen 1844 Parish: TERRYGLASS (RC)

Surname: Heffernan
First Name: Ellen
Father's Surname: Heffernan
Father's First Name: Michael
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name: Bridget

Year: 1844

____

Peter, I can’t be 100 percent sure that the above index is for your Ellen Heffernan, though it may be, considering that her baptism took place in the Terryglass Catholic Church, and that her marriage also took place in the Terryglass Catholic Church, as weddings traditionally were conducted in the bride’s parish.

I then wanted to see if I could find out what Bridget Collins’s maiden name was. To do this I went to the Irish Times newspaper website links for the 10 most common surnames in the Parish of Terryglass, as well as the surrounding parishes.

These surnames are taken from an Irish property tax record known as Griffiths Valuation, which was enumerated in the 32 counties of Ireland between 1847 and 1864.

For example, the Irish Times link shows the following as the 10 most common surnames in Terryglass when Griffiths Valuation was enumerated there is 1851. The link for these can be found at: http://tinyurl.com/8sntfnf

See below:

Most common surnames in Terryglass in 1851

Surname Households

Hogan 28
Meara 27
Costelloe 14
Kennedy 14
Cahalan 12
Talbot 11
Nowlan 10
Hough 9
Tierney 9
Whelan 9
____

The record above shows that the most common surname found in Terryglass in Griffiths Valuation was Hogan, with 28 names listed in the valuation. I took each of the 10 names to see if the IFHF search engine would accept any of them for Bridget’s maiden name. The search engine did not accept any of them. I then expanded the search to the 10 most common surnames found in Griffiths Valuation in parishes surrounding Terryglass. One of these is the Civil Parish known as Aglishcloghane, which can be found at: http://tinyurl.com/9gmz3bu

See below:

Most common surnames in Aglishcloghane in 1851

Surname Households

Meara 15
Kennedy 12
Heenan 10
Hogan 10
Kelly 10
Ryan 9
Carroll 6
Prendergast 6
Hoctor 5
Nowlan 4
____

The most common surname found in the Aglsihcloghane Civil Parish in Griffiths Valuation was Meara, with 15. I then wanted to see if the IFHF search engine would accept any of these 10 names as Bridget’s maiden name. I got lucky as the search engine accepted Carroll as her maiden name in Ellen Heffernan’s baptism index:

1 match for the search criteria: Heffernan (plus variants) Ellen 1844 Parish: TERRYGLASS (RC)

Mother's Surname: Carroll

____

I then wanted to see if I could locate the marriage index for Michael Heffernan and Bridget Carroll. I found the index showing the couple were married in the Terryglass Catholic Church in 1835:

1 match for the search criteria: Heffernan (plus variants) Michael 1835 Parish: TERRYGLASS

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Tipperary (North)
First Name: Michael
Spouse's Surname: Carroll
Spouse's First Name: Bridget
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1835

Parish/District: Parish: TERRYGLASS (RC)
____

I also looked for the Terryglass baptism indexes for any more children of Michael Heffernan and Bridget Carroll, in addition to the baptism index for Ellen. I found only two. These are for Sarah (1838); and Bridget (1841). I’ve also included the baptism index for Ellen again so that you can see the full chronology of the Terryglass baptism indexes:

1 match for the search criteria: Heffernan (plus variants) Sarah 1838 Parish: TERRYGLASS (RC)

First Name: Sarah

Year: 1838

____

1 match for the search criteria: Heffernan (plus variants) Bridget 1841 Parish: TERRYGLASS (RC)

First Name: Bridget

Year: 1841

____

____

MARY GALVIN COLLINS

The 1896 Ferbane, Offaly church marriage index for Timothy Collins and Mary Galvin shows that Mary’s father was John Galvin.

In addition, the 1901 census for Killaloe, Clare, shows that Mary Collins was 26 years old, placing her year of birth circa 1875, while the 1911 census for Eccles, Lancashire, shows that Mary was 34 years old, placing her year of birth circa 1877. Both enumerations show she was born in Kings County, Ireland.

I looked for Mary Galvin’s birth or baptism index at the IFHF website for Ferbane, Offaly for a span of years from 1870 to 1880, but didn’t find it. Knowing that her father was John Galvin takes some of the guesswork out of locating Mary’s baptism, though without knowing who her mother was, I knew I couldn’t be sure that any index I found would pertain to your ancestor.

In any case I expanded the search for her birth or baptism to surrounding parishes. One of these is Clonmacnoise, where I found an 1877 baptism index of a Mary Galvin, daughter of John Galvin. After several guesses the search engine accepted Honor as Mary’s mother’s first name.

The index is below:

1 match for the search criteria: Galvin (plus variants) Mary 1877 Parish: CLONMACNOISE (RC)

Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name: Honor

Year: 1877

Parish/District: CLONMACNOISE (RC)
____

I then went back to the Irish Times website to look for the most common surnames found in Clonmacnoise, to see if the IFHF search engine accepted any of these as Honor’s maiden name. None of the surnames matched. I then expanded the search to the Catholic and Civil Parishes bordering Clonmacnoise to see if the search engine accepted any of those as Honor’s maiden name. None did. Finally, I just typed in the most common Irish surname, Murphy, and the search engine accepted this.

The revised baptism index for Mary Galvin follows:

1 match for the search criteria: Galvin (plus variants) Mary 1877 Parish: CLONMACNOISE (RC)

Mother's Surname: Murphy
Mother's First Name: Honor

Year: 1877

Parish/District: CLONMACNOISE (RC)
____

With the information from the Mary’s baptism index, I next looked for the IFHF marriage index for John Galvin and Honor Murphy, and found it. The index shows the couple were married in the Clonmacnoise Catholic Church in 1868:

1 match for the search criteria: Galvin (plus variants) John 1868 Parish: CLONMACNOIS (RC)

Spouse's Surname: Murphy
Spouse's First Name: Honor
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Parish/District: Parish: CLONMACNOIS (RC)
____

Peter, I can’t be sure if the 1877 baptism index pertains to your Mary Galvin, or if her parents John Galvin and Honor Murphy are in your direct line. I don’t have enough information to prove the link to your Galvin ancestors.

CONCLUSION

The IFHF search engine is not the easiest to use. You may have to experiment with it to find the indexes that I did. But, I’m not aware of any other website for Ireland that has the volume of birth, baptism, marriage, and death or burial records that the Irish Family History Foundation does, especially church records before full civil registration began in Ireland in 1864. These records number in the millions. Also, the staff at the IFHF member counties are continuously adding more records.

I hope some of this information has been what you are looking for.

Kind Regards,

Dave Boylan
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Peter Collins 17 Sep 2012 3:09PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 26 Sep 2012 2:26AM GMT 
Peter Collins 26 Sep 2012 7:11PM GMT 
DaveBoylan 3 Nov 2012 11:40AM GMT 
Peter Collins 7 Nov 2012 9:30PM GMT 
DaveBoylan 8 Nov 2012 2:40AM GMT 
ryanbill1gmai... 25 Dec 2013 10:33AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions