Search for content in message boards

Looking for information on a Templetuohy tombstone

Replies: 4

Re: Looking for information on a Templetuohy tombstone

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 12:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gallagher, Quinlan, Galway
Annette, thank you so much for taking the time to respons to my query. I am a bit behind on my emails so my apologies for not answering sooner. As for dates, Maurice's son John was born in 1837. In the townland of Gortacurrig and sometimes Ballynoulty, parish of Kildorrery, Cork, for a few years just one branch of the Gallaghers was known by the name Galway. Some church records use the name Galway, while for the same family another priest recorded the name as Gallagher. Interestingly, John was listed as the son of John Galway and MARGARET Quinlin. The other children were the children of Maurice Gallagher and BRIDGET Quinlan. When I was in Ireland, I looked at Templtuohy records and found no marriage. I have used Irishroots and find no marriage indexed. I know the names of the parents of Bridget and found her Baptism. I also found a Baptism for a Margaret Quinlan to the same parents. The names and years of Maurice's children in summary:
1837 John (to Maurice and Margaret)
1839 Catherine (to Maurice and Bridget)
1841 Patrick (to Maurice and Bridget)
1843 James (to Maurice and Bridget)
1845 Mary (to Maurice and Bridget)

The children were all baptized in Kildorrery. Marriage records were well recorded by that time, but there is no marriage there for Maurice. Also of interest - JOhn did not emigrate to Canada with the family. He went a couple of years later. This leads me to believe that he did have a different mother. Perhaps Margaret, his mother, died, and Maurice then married Margaret's older sister, Bridget (perhaps thought to be a spinster without hopes of marriage).

I hope this information helps. I really appreciate your interest.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jan Fortado 12 Nov 2012 11:25PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 21 Jan 2013 3:46PM GMT 
janfortado1 10 Feb 2013 7:49PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 12 Feb 2013 7:03AM GMT 
janfortado1 12 Feb 2013 2:03PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic