Search for content in message boards

Hanrahan, Horan, Horgan, Horrigan, Hourihane, other surnames for DNA project

Replies: 0

Hanrahan, Horan, Horgan, Horrigan, Hourihane, other surnames for DNA project

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 12:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Dec 2012 12:23PM GMT
The HOURIHANE project is seeking DNA testers with ancestries of Hanrahan, Horan, Horgan, Horrigan, Hourihane, and other surnames in its DNA project. HANRAHAN is of particular interest because some Hourihanes in west Cork believe they are of Tipperary/Hourihane ancestry.

Historically, a family in the Corca Laoidhe may have "anglicized" as Horan or Horgan, which may have become Hourihane. There are a number of possibilities for the origin of the Hourihane surname. See the background on the project website for details.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~skibbgirl/...

Direct male descendants with these surnames can participate with a Y-DNA test. 67 markers is ideal if a full 111 marker test is not feasible. Anybody with these names in their ancestry can participate through an autosomal DNA test. The project is administered through FTDNA, so new participants can order their tests through FTDNA or order them through another testing company but then will have to transfer the results to FTDNA. The autosomal DNA test at FTDNA is called Family Finder. Membership in the project requires that you provide whatever information you have on your oldest known ancestor and describe how you are linked to that ancestor.

These tests are on sale now through the end of 2012. You can order a test and join the HOURIHANE project here:
http://www.familytreedna.com/group-join.aspx?Group=OHourihan...

If you already have a test on file at FTDNA.

To join the project:

1) Log in to your FTDNA account
2) Click Projects on the menu bar, then Join
3) You will see project search page. On that page is a search box. Type in Horrigan and click SEARCH.
4) Click on the link that says O'Hourihane.
5) On this page there should be an orange button at the bottom that says JOIN. Click that button.
6) There is a chance you might see an error screen that says "There was an error while attempting to load the page you requested." IGNORE THIS.
7) Wait for my email confirming that I see your name and kit number in the project. If you don't get an email from me, email me at hourihanedna@corkgen.org.

Find a board about a specific topic