Search for content in message boards

Templemore,Tipperary. Michael Whelan 1880's

Replies: 2

Templemore,Tipperary. Michael Whelan 1880's

Posted: 2 Oct 2013 7:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Aug 2014 12:32PM GMT
Surnames: Whelan
My Grand-dad Michael was born in Templemore Tipperary 1884 his mother was Bridget Whelan, sadly he was placed in an orphanage when he was abt 2yrs old. Since researching his family I went to Templemore and to the church where he was baptised and found his grandparents, aunt's and uncle's plus his mother's birth too. What I do know from my mother is that he had a younger brother called Jack or John he came to England and found Michael in the late 1950's, Jack/John lived in either America or New Zealand my Mum couldn't remember. She does know that when he returned home they never saw one another again,Jack told my grand-dad why he was put in an orphanage, sadly he never told his family, he very rarely talked of his past. What I want help with is, if anyone knows of any orphanage's run by Christian brothers around 1880/90's this is where he was til he was 14 yrs old,When he left the orphanage he was well educated, he trained as a telegraphist he carried on with the trade when he joined the army in Clonmel Ireland 1902. I found out this latest info from my aunt who recently passed away she was the last of the line. I hope someone can help. Thank you
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ritatinker55 2 Oct 2013 1:38PM GMT 
annclare 2 Oct 2013 10:43PM GMT 
ritatinker55 3 Oct 2013 4:18PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic