Search for content in message boards

HADDENS of Carnteel, Errigal Keerogue, Aghaloo parishes

Replies: 38

HADDENS of Carnteel, Errigal Keerogue, Aghaloo parishes

Posted: 16 Nov 2005 5:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Jan 2006 8:27AM GMT
Surnames: HADDEN, ARMSTRONG, BEATTY, IRWIN, WORTHINGTON, LATIMER, REID, CAMPBELL, DONALDSON, CALVIN, others
Researching Haddens of southern Co. Tyrone, who originally came as Scots Presbyterians from Aberdeen during the Plantation of Ulster. David Hadden (born 1809 Ballygawley) described Aberdeen as "the home of my old, old ancestors." David's nephew Joseph Hadden Calvin (born 1827 Creevelea, Co. Monaghan) in his Princeton University records said that his mother Anne Hadden's family home was Aberdeen.

John Reid Hadden of Philadelphia (born 1864 Co. Tyrone) wrote his cousin Alexander Hadden Jr. in 1925:

"I can tell you they (our forefathers) came from Huguenots in France during the Huguenot war when many were put to the sword for their religion.

"Our forefathers having embraced the Presbyterian religion at that time were persecuted as were all others of the protestant faith. Some of them escaped to Ireland and settled in Ulster and, so I understand, were rather aristocratic in their way and very select in choosing their company and would not answer to the name of Hadden, had to be Had-deen giving it the French accent; that was between the fifteenth and sixteenth century, so you see you must go far back to find anything about the Haddens."

Many Co. Tyrone HADDEN ancestors' names are found in Presbyterian church records of Ballygawley and in townlands of Golan (Loughpark), Doolargy, Skey, Loughans, Cavankilgreen, Armalughey, Cravenny Scotch & Irish, Dernabane, Lisbeg, Tullyvar, Aughnacloy and others.

My direct ancestors are the Haddens of Ballygawley and Golan and the Armstrongs of Crosscavanagh (Pomeroy parish), but we have family links all over this part of Ireland. I'll be glad to share further information with anyone interested.

The 1766 Religious Census, Armagh Diocese, Parishes Aghalow & Carnteel, Co. Tyrone, has 5 Hadden names (and spelling variants), all Presbyterian:

Andrew Haddin
James Hadin
John Haddin
Robt. Hadden
Thomas Haddin

1796 Flax Growers List - Aghaloo parish, Co. Tyrone:

Archibald Hadden
John Hadden
Joseph Hadden

(In 1796 Flax Lists, there's also William Hadden in Co. Armagh, Ballymore Parish and John Haddon in Co. Monaghan, Aghabog Parish.)

The Freeholders' Records (signed 1795-1796):

Joseph Haddin - residence: Goland, signed at Ballygawley 1795
John Haddin - residence: Goland, signed at Ballygawley 1795
James Hadden - residence: Edengeeragh, signed at Aughnacloy 1795
John Hadden - residence: Edengeeragh, signed at Aughnacloy 1795
George Hadden - residence: Dromore, signed at Caledon 1796
John Hadden - residence: Dromore, signed at Caledon 1796

There are Haddens in numerous townlands in the Tithe Applotments and Griffith's Valuation, some directly linked to the Freeholders and some waiting on researchers to discover connections.

Many Co. Tyrone HADDENS and allied families emigrated to the U.S., Canada, and Australia. Related lines in Co. Tyrone and adjacent areas include ARMSTRONG, CALVIN, BEATTY, WORTHINGTON, LATIMER, IRWIN, REID/REED, CAMPBELL, CAULDWELL, MITCHELL, HUNTER, SIMPSON, DICKSON, GORDON, MURPHY, DONALDSON/DONELSON, COCHRAN, COBANE and others.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
anniecrenshaw 17 Nov 2005 12:40AM GMT 
N_Percival 17 Nov 2005 8:04PM GMT 
anniecrenshaw 23 Nov 2005 3:44PM GMT 
N_Percival 26 Nov 2005 7:43AM GMT 
Bob Beatty 19 May 2006 10:06AM GMT 
Annie Crenshaw 19 May 2006 12:35PM GMT 
Kathryn_Hamby 20 May 2006 8:14PM GMT 
lhatha 28 Aug 2007 7:37PM GMT 
Ziliana 15 Mar 2010 8:29PM GMT 
Ziliana 8 Apr 2010 2:26PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions