Search for content in message boards

McFarland Family - Dunbreen/Tattynure area

Replies: 1

McFarland Family - Dunbreen/Tattynure area

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 8:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for connections to this McFarland Family - I believe my Great great Grandmother may have been related to this family. Her name is Mary McFarland and she married a John McCutcheon. We have been unable to trace them in Ireland but they were supposedly from County Tyrone. Mary came to Canada in 1894; the passenger list says she was 50 years old BUT she died in 1899 and her death registration says she was 78!!!! Because of a connection here in Canada, I believe there is possibility that Mary was somehow related to James or David below -

David McFarland married Matilda Stewart on May 11, 1854 Cappagh,Cappagh By, Omagh, Tyrone, Ireland
Fathers – both named James; he was 22, she was 17

Possible births for this couple -
1. Robert McFarland - International Genealogical Index
Death: 22 MAY 1937
2. Thomas McFarland - International Genealogical Index
Death: About 1888 (?)
3. James McFarland - International Genealogical Index
Death: About 1936
4. Alexander McFarland - International Genealogical Index
Death: About 1902

James McFarland (22) married Eliza Jane Wasson (22) on 10/01/1899 in Omagh District (Tattynure?)
Fathers both named David (?); says James was a widower?? Eliza a spinster

1911 Census for Dunbreen Tattynure
McFarland James 53 Male Head of Family Irish Church Co Tyrone Farm Labourer Read and write Married
McFarland Eliza J 49 Female Wife Irish Church Co Tyrone Read Married
McFarland Samuel 12 Male Son Irish Church Co Tyrone Scholar Read and write Single
McFarland Annie 9 Female Daughter Irish Church Co Tyrone Scholar Read and write Single
McFarland Mary 4 Female Daughter Irish Church Co Tyrone Cannot read Single
McFarland Matildia 75 Female Mother Irish Church Co Tyrone Cannot read Widow
McFadden Eliza 86 Female Lodger Irish Church

Samuel McFarland married Catherine (Cassie) Watson on 11 Nov 1924 at Cappagh church of Ireland
Fathers - James McFarland/Robert Wasson

Samuel & Cassie emigrated to Canada in 1930 and lived in the same town as my McCutcheon Family. My Mother tells of visiting them with her Grandmother Mary (Maguire) McCutcheon who was the wife of the son of John McCutcheon & Mary McFarland. Samuel's 2 sisters married 2 brothers named Wilson and also ended up in the very same town.

Also, Samuel McCutcheon, son of John & Mary, emigrated to Canada in 1901 with a Thomas McFarland who I believe may have been his cousin?? Their ages were not on the passenger listing so I am just assuming they may have been of the same age. I have always wondered if the Thomas McFarland, son of David & Matilda was the one who emigrated – the “death about 1888” comes from a submitted IGI file so not sure whether it is accurate or not – maybe Thomas just disappeared and the submitter did not know that he emigrated???

Because they all ended up in the same place, I believe there was a family connection somewhere and would love to find out how Mary (McFarland) McCutcheon connects to them....

Any information greatly appreciated. THANKS
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
khartley181 1 Oct 2012 2:44PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 12 Nov 2012 4:45AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic