Search for content in message boards

James Hughes m Annie Quinn

Replies: 11

Re: James Hughes m Annie Quinn

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 8:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello again Julie,

While I can’t answer your first question about why children or grandchildren were not named after Isabella, I can show why I didn’t uncover the birth or baptism indexes for John and Joseph Hughes who are found with their mother Isabella in the 1901 census for Coalisland, Tyrone.

I’ll begin with Joseph: When searching the IFHF website for the children of James Hughes and Isabella Rooney, I never tried variant spellings of their surnames in the search engine, as the IFHF search does a pretty good job of coming up with Soundex variants of a person’s surname. For Soundex see: http://www.archives.gov/research/census/soundex.html

But, this doesn’t happen in every case with the IFHF search engine.

In looking for Joseph Hughes today, I expanded the search for his birth or baptism outside the IFHF, and went to the Latter Day Saints (LDS) website at: https://www.familysearch.org/#form=advanced-records

At the LDS website I uncovered a civil birth index for a Joseph Hughes, son of James Hughes and Isbaella Hughes Ronan.

Joseph’s birth was recorded in Coalisland, Tyrone, on 17 February 1877:

"Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881," Joseph Hughes, 1877

name: Joseph Hughes
baptism/christening date:
baptism/christening place:
birth date: 17 Feb 1877
birthplace: Tyrone, Ireland
death date:
name note:
race:
father's name: James Hughes
father's birthplace: Coalisland
father's age:
mother's name: Isabella Hughes Ronan
mother's birthplace:
mother's age:
indexing project (batch) number: C00613-7
system origin: Ireland-EASy
reference number: v 1-2 p 597

source film number: 255969

Collection: "Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881," Joseph Hughes, 1877
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGFF-LXX
Citing this Record
"Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGFF-LXX : accessed 12 Nov 2012), Joseph Hughes, 17 Feb 1877; citing reference v 1-2 p 597, FHL microfilm 255969.
____

Joseph’s civil birth record can be found in LDS microfilm number 255969. You can order this film from your nearest Family History Center.

I then went back to the IFHF search engine to see if I could find the birth or baptism index for Joseph Hughes, son of James Hughes and Isbaella/Isabell/Bella Ronan. The search engine did not accept Ronan as Isabell’s maiden name, nor of course did it accept Rooney. But it did produce a baptism index without Isabell’s maiden surname:

1 match for the search criteria: Hughes (plus variants) Joseph 1877 Parish: COALISLAND (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Tyrone
Surname: Hughes
First Name: Joseph
Father's Surname: Hughes
Father's First Name: James
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name: Isabell

Year: 1877

Parish/District: Parish: COALISLAND (RC)
____

It may be that Isabell’s maiden name is not listed in the baptism record for Joseph, or was not transcribed properly. You would have to order Joseph’s 1877 Coalisland baptism transcription from the IFHF for Tyrone, to see if there is a maiden name for Isabell in the baptism record.

Knowing that Ronan was one of the names that might be a variant of Rooney, I next looked for the baptism of John Hughes, son of James Hughes and Isabella/Isabell/Bella Ronan, and found it. The index shows that John was baptized in the Coalisland Catholic Church in 1863, which is the year after the marriage of his parents. His mother’s name is listed as Isabell Ronan:

1 match for the search criteria: Hughes (plus variants) John 1863 Parish: COALISLAND (RC)

First Name: John
Mother's Surname: Ronan

Year: 1863

____

In my first reply, you saw that I uncovered a Clonoe baptism index for Anne Hughes. Her baptism index was recorded in 1872. But, as with some of the other Hughes children however, I didn’t find a Coalisland baptism index for her.

I’ve reproduced Anne’s Clonoe Catholic Church baptism index just below for easy access:

1 match for the search criteria: Hughes (plus variants) Anne 1872 Parish: CLONOE (RC)

First Name: Anne
Mother's Surname: Rooney

Year: 1872

Parish/District: Parish: CLONOE (RC)
____

This time, I looked for Anne’s Coalisland baptism index with the alternate maiden name of Ronan for her mother.

The IFHF search engine accepted Isabella Ronan as her mother, but not Isabella Rooney. The index follows:

1 match for the search criteria: Hughes (plus variants) Anne 1872 Parish: COALISLAND (RC)

First Name: Anne
Mother's First Name: Isabella

Year: 1872

____

Also in my first reply, I had found an 1868 Clonoe Catholic Church baptism index for William Hughes, which is reproduced just below:

1 match for the search criteria: Hughes (plus variants) William 1868 Parish: CLONOE (RC)

First Name: William
Mother's Surname: Rooney

Year: 1868

Parish/District: Parish: CLONOE (RC)
____

Thanks to your question Julie, I also found William’s IFHF baptism index recorded in Coalisland in which his mother is listed as Isabella Ronan:

1 match for the search criteria: Hughes (plus variants) William 1868 Parish: COALISLAND (RC)

____

Going back to my first reply again, you saw the 1862 marriage index for James Hughes and Isabella Rooney, recorded in the Coalisland Catholic Church:

1 match for the search criteria: Hughes (plus variants) James 1862 Parish: COALISLAND (RC)

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Tyrone
First Name: James
Spouse's Surname: Rooney
Spouse's First Name: Isabella
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1862

____

I looked for this marriage again with Isabella’s maiden name spelled Ronan, but didn’t find it. But, I then typed in Roonan for her maiden name, which the search engine did accept:

Spouse's Surname: Roonan
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1862

____

This shows you can’t always count on genealogical search engines to come up with all variants of a surname or maiden name, though, as noted earlier, the IFHF search engine generally does a pretty good job with alternate surnames and maiden names.

Except for Joseph, all of the indexes for the Hughes children that I found refer to either Coalisland or Clonoe baptisms. Going back to the LDS website, I found the civil birth indexes for Mary Hughes (1865); Ann Jane Hughes (1872); and James Hughes (1873).

The birth index for Mary lists her parents as James Hughes and Isabella Rooney. The birth index for Ann Jane lists her parents as James Hughes and Isabella Ronan, while the birth index for James Hughes lists his parents as James Hughes and Isabella Rooney.

If you want these LDS indexes, please let me know, so that you can order the civil birth records for these children. Civil birth records are held by the General Register Office (GRO) in Roscommon Town, County Roscommon.
See: www.groireland.ie/

You may be wondering, as I am, whether it’s possible or coincidental, that two men named James Hughes, married two different women named Isabella, one a Rooney, and one a Ronan, in the same year, in Coalisland, Tyrone, and had children born or baptized to them in the same years in Coalisland and Clonoe. I suppose that’s possible. But I don’t know how likely that would be.

But, coincidences do exist. Earlier in the reply you saw the 1868 Coalisland and Clonoe baptism indexes for William Hughes. The Clonoe baptism gives his mother’s name as Isabel Rooney, while the Coalisland baptism refers to his mother as Isabella Ronan.

When at the LDS website, I found another civil birth index for a William Hughes, recorded in Coalisland on 12 May 1868. While his father’s name is listed as James Hughes, his mother Isabella’s maiden name is listed as Mcwhinney.

I also found this William’s 1868 Coalisland baptism index at the IFHF for County Tyrone, showing his father was James Hughes and mother Isabella McWhinney.

The IFHF index follows:

Mother's Surname: McWhinney

____

But, as you will see below, the marriage of James Hughes and Isabella McWhinney was recorded in the Dungannon Registration District (RD) in 1853:

1 match for the search criteria: Hughes (plus variants) James 1853 Parish: DUNGANNON (RD)

Spouse's Surname: McWhinney
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1853

Parish/District: Parish: DUNGANNON (RD)
____

Concerning the different spellings of Isbaella’s name in the baptism and birth records of her children, I would guess that there were two different priests, one for the Coalisland Catholic Church, and one for the Clonoe Catholic Church, who penned her name in the baptism records. If she had given her nickname Bella to one of the priests, he may have spelled her full first name, rather than using her nickname, to be more formal about it. But again, that’s just a guess.

Concerning the two Patrick Hackett’s in Griffiths Valuation, you are correct in that these two men may have been a cousin or uncle to your Patrick who immigrated to the U.S. with his family circa 1840.

I located the people who may be your Patrick and Mary “Hacket” and six of their children in the 1850 census, living in Orange, Iona County, Michigan, where Patrick was a farmer. I believe you already have this census however.

Thank you for writing Julie.

With Kind Regards,

Dave
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
7eah1 12 Nov 2012 2:09AM GMT 
DaveBoylan 12 Nov 2012 3:56PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions