Search for content in message boards

HAGAN/O'HAGAN families

Replies: 25

HAGAN/O'HAGAN families

Bernard Hagan (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jun 2000 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HAGAN, O'HAGAN, McIVOR, McKEEVER, McWILLIAMS, KANE, KEAN, O'KELLY, O'NEILL, QUINN
My family came from around a very small village called Eskra in the parish of Clogher. My great grandfather, Bernard HAGAN migrated to Victoria, Australia in 1863 aged 24. He married an Irish girl, Elizabeth McIVOR
(McKEEVER) from Tanderagee in County Armagh, also in Northern Ireland, at Ballarat, Victoria in 1874. His parents were Denis HAGAN and Catherine McWILLIAMS. Bernard and Elizabeth had six children - James, John, Catherine, Sarah Anne, Bernard (my grandfather) and Mary.

Denis had five children that I know of - Bernard (my great grandfather who came to Australia), Denis, Ellen, Henry and Elizabeth. I don't know of any of his siblings. I have been in contact with many relatives in Northern Ireland who live close by Eskra and have learned much about my Irish ancestors but there are still many gaps. I visited them in 1991 while working in England for the year.

One relative, John O'HAGAN has just celebrated his 102nd birthday (17th April). He is the youngest son of Henry HAGAN, my great grandfather's brother and lives with his son, Frank and his family near Omagh, County Tyrone in the original farmhouse that my great grandfather left in 1863 to come to Australia. I know many realtives spent some time in the USA. Some stayed. Others returned to Ireland. Some also went to Scotland and of course my great grandfather to Australia.

I have found a Denis listed in the 1860 "Griffith's Valuations" for County Tyrone:
* once in Clogher Parish at Lurganaglare (Ord S 51) with a garden of 1 rood 10 perches (9b) and land of 9 acres 2 roods 35 perches (10) with no buildings on either
* once in the neighbouring Parish of Donacavey at Cattor (Ord S 51) with House, office and land of 11 acres 3 roods 10 perches (9)

I also found a Catherine HAGAN is listed in the 1860 "Griffith's Valuations" for Co. Tyrone:
* once in Errigal Keerogue Parish at Altamooskan (Ord S 44 & 52) with house office and land of 11 acres 1 rood 35 perches (18) where she is nextdoor to Mary HAGAN who has house, office and land of 10 acres 3 roods 25 perches (17)
* once again in Errigal Keerogue Parish at Millix (Ord S 52 & 53) with land only, of 16 acres 1 rood 35 perches with Sir William VERNER, Bart. as her immediate lessor.

I searched the Tithe Applotment Books of 1829 (Film Reel 123) for Co. Tyrone in the Townlands of of Corkhill, Eskragh, Lurganaglare, Aghindaragh and Ballimacan have HAGAN's, but no Denis HAGAN listed as holding land.

My father was called Patrick James HAGAN. He is the only Patrick I can find apart from the baptism of Mary Ellen Patrick HAGAN, my grandfather's sister in 1884.

I have been in contact with another HAGAN/O'HAGAN Internet reseacher who is also researching another family of the same name in the same area but we have yet to establish a common link. He has found a very prominent American, Roman Catholic, Jesuit priest who was born in Cormore, one mile from Eskra in 1826 - Joseph Bernard O'HAGAN who had a nephew, John O'HAGAN who was killed in Colorado about 1890 in a mining accident.

My Irish relatives all seem to have added the 'O to their surname unlike our Australian branch. When in Ireland I was introduced by relatives as Bernard O'HAGAN.

If there is a connection with our families, I would be very happy to share anything you might find useful.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Bernard Hagan 20 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT 
krock321_1 19 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Bernard Hagan 19 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT 
krock321_1 20 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Fred Hagan 24 Oct 2006 5:14PM GMT 
Kathy 25 Oct 2006 6:19PM GMT 
Fred Hagan 25 Oct 2006 7:03PM GMT 
jennaskewpede... 6 Jul 2008 5:03AM GMT 
bettyboop1106 29 Jan 2013 12:34AM GMT 
Jacqui Johnston 12 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions