Search for content in message boards

Gibneys in County Meath, Ireland

Replies: 23

Re: Gibneys in County Meath, Ireland

Cheryl McDonald Schuman (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 2002 9:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gibney
I just checked, quite by accident, and found you had recently answered my post of over 3 years ago. The information I had about my great-grandfather Thomas Michael Gibney, was purely family legend. I am wondering now if he didn't come with his family to New Jersey as a small child. Although, there is documented proof, his mother, a staunch Catholic, came to Dutch Mills sometime after the end of the War Between the States and begged him to leave his wife and children and return with her. My grandfather's oldest sister, Cora Gibson, was old enough to remember her grandmother coming in a carriage with a driver and four horses. It was said she followed him about the farm all day, begging him in Gaelic to come back with her. She felt his marriage to Kara Alberty wasn't legal, since they had not been married in the Catholic Church and considered her two or three grandchildren to be bastards. Of course, he refused and she left, wouldn't even stay the night, but went back to a hotel in Fayetteville, AR, which was about 40 miles from Dutch Mills.

Thomas Gibney's military record is pretty near correct, as we can tell. His headstone in the Dutch Mills Cemetary indicates he was born in County Meath, August of 1841.

We have always been under the assumption, Thomas Gibney came to the U.S. as a 20-year old man and alone, no other family member. Your Thomas Gibney would have been a 5-year old child, accompanied by his parents.

My cousin has done extensive research and uncovered the fact that our g-ggrandfather's first name was Richard (Co. Meath) and his wife Julia was born in France. But, your birthdates would be about right. She also said Thomas Gibney was a third son.

This is confusing.

I would be interested in knowing if you have uncovered more.

Of course, "Thomas" and "Michael" are very common Irish names.

Thank you,

Cheryl Gibney McDonald Schuman
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
MurphyDennis 26 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT 
Michael Troy 7 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT 
patrickmccann... 11 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT 
patrickmccann... 7 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Maura Fagan 8 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Merle Farrington 12 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Gerard Leonard 29 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT 
magisterpat 4 Aug 2001 10:32PM GMT 
jeffofhhk 4 Apr 2002 2:35AM GMT