Search for content in message boards

Searching William Kavanagh m. Bridget Purcell

Replies: 3

Re: Searching William Kavanagh m. Bridget Purcell

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 8:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Beverly,

I’m not a descendant, but found what may be the marriage index for William Kavanagh and Bridget Purcell. This index comes from the Irish Family History Foundation (IFHF) f website for County Laois, though when they married, it was known as Queens County. The index shows the marriage took place in the Ballyfin Catholic Church in 1853.

The index follows:

1 match for the search criteria: Kavanagh (plus variants) William 1853 Parish: BALLYFIN (RC)

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Laois
Surname: Kavanagh
First Name: William
Spouse's Surname: Purcell
Spouse's First Name: Bridget
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1853

Parish/District: Parish: BALLYFIN (RC)
____

The IFHF search engine will also accept Cavanagh as the spelling for William’s surname.

The marriage transcription may or may not include the names of William and Bridget’s parents.

The IFHF homepage can be found at: http://www.rootsireland.ie/

Before accessing the marriage indexes at the IFHF you’ll first have to register. Registration is free. You’ll also be able to access the index that I did for free, but you will be charged to obtain the transcription for William and Bridget’s marriage. You’ll have to purchase credits with a credit card to obtain the transcriptions. The IFHF website will have more information about purchasing credits for baptism, as well as birth, marriage, and death or burial transcriptions.

You’ll be able to see where the Catholic Parish of Ballyfin is located by going to the Irish Times map at:
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/la...

Once at the map find the Catholic Parish of Cappinrush, located just below the Catholic Parishes of Rosenallis and Mountmellick.

When you locate the Catholic Parish of Cappinrush, hold your cursor over it, and you’ll see this was also the location for the Ballyfin Church.

William and Bridget may have lived in Ballyfin, but may also have lived in one of the surrounding towns. Ballyfin and the surrounding towns were situated in the Civil Parish of Clonenagh & Clonagheen. In addition to Ballyfin, the other towns in the Civil Parish of Clonenagh & Clonagheen can be found at the Irish Times website link at:
http://tinyurl.com/aors3ls

To view a Google Map of Ballyfin, go to:
http://maps.google.ie/?q=53.056000+-7.408000+%28%2C+%2C+%2C+...

Once at the map go to the Zoom-in/Zoom-out gage in the upper left corner, and zoom in slightly so the words, “Ballyfin Church” appear on the map. Next, go to the letter A with your mouse and cursor. Left-click on the letter A to generate a “Street view” thumbnail photo of Ballyfin. Then click on the photo and you’ll be able to take a tour of Ballyfin. Head north on the map toward the Ballyfin Church. This is St. Fintan’s Catholic Church and graveyard. I’m not sure if this church goes back to 1853. If it does, it is likely the church where William Kavanagh and Bridget Purcell were married.

I also looked for the Ballyfin baptisms of William Kavanagh and Bridget Purcell for the 1820s and early 1830s, but didn’t find them. According to information from the IFHF website, the Ballyfin Catholic baptisms go back to 1824, while the church marriages commence in 1819.

I then looked for individual baptism indexes for William and Bridget in County Laois. The results show four baptisms in Laois for a William Kavanagh between 1828 and 1838 in other parishes, but I wouldn’t know which, if any of the five would pertain to your William without knowing his parents’ names.

I also looked for baptisms for Bridget Purcells in Laois for the same time period, but found none.

Next, based on the information you provided in your message to Ancestry.com, I found what I believe to be the “Cavanagh” family in the 1860 census for Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia. The census comes from Ancestry.com.

The Ancestry.com index for the census spells the family’s surname as “Cavins.” In a copy of the original census, the name is very difficult to read, as it appears smudged. However, a person named Diana Gale Matthiesen, submitted a correction to the 1860 census on February 2, 2009, noting the surname is Cavanagh. I’ve stuck with this spelling in the census transcription you’ll see a little later. I’m not sure if Diana is a descendant of the Cavanagh family.

The 1860 census shows that William was a 30 year old labourer born in Ireland. His 26 year old wife Bridget was also born in Ireland, as was their 6 year old daughter, Mary A. Their 3 year old son John was born in Virginia. In addition, there are two Purcell households enumerated before William and his family. I believe these Purcell were related to Bridget.

The first Purcell family includes 30 year old Stephen and 30 year old Mary, both born in Ireland. Neither could read or write. The children in the household are 4 year old Sarah A., born in England, and 2 year old Bridget, born in Virginia.

In the next household is 28 year old laborer Martin Purcell and 63 year old Mary Purcell, both born in Ireland. It’s possible that Stephen and Martin Purcell were Bridget’s brothers, and that 63 year old Mary was their mother.

The 1860 census transcription follows:

1860 United States Federal Census

Page No. 16

SCHEDULE 1.-Free Inhabitants in the Western Division in the County of Henrico State
of Virginia enumerated by me on the 7th day of July 1860. Absalom Blackburn, Asst. Marshal

Post Office: Richmond

Name, Age, Sex, Color, Occupation, Value of Real Estate, Value of Perdonal Estate, Place of Birth, Person over 21 years of age who cannot read and write

Stephen Purcell, 30, Male, Labourer, Ireland, Person over 21 years of age who cannot read and write
Mary Purcell, 30, Fema;e, Ireland, Person over 21 years of age who cannot read and write
Sarah A. Purcell, 4, Female, England
Bridget Purcell, 2, Female, Virginia

Next Household

Martin Purcell, 28, Male, Labourer, Ireland
Mary Purcell, 63, Female, Ireland

Next Household

William Cavanagh, 30, Male, Labourer, Ireland
Bridget Cavanagh, 26, Female, Ireland
Mary A. Cavanagh, 6, Female, Ireland
John Cavanagh, 3, Male, Virginia

Source Citation: Year: 1860; Census Place: Western Subdivision, Henrico, Virginia; Roll: M653_1353; Page: 896; Image: 458; Family History Library Film: 805353.
____

I’ve attached a copy of the 1860 census to this reply.

Next, I figured that if 30 year old Stephen Purcell had been related to Bridget Purcell Kavanagh, he too may have possibly been married in Queens County, Ireland. And so, at this point I went back to the IFHF website for County Laois to see if I could uncover a marriage index for a Stephen Purcell and a Mary, recorded in the 1850s.

I found one index showing that the marriage of Stephen Purcell and Mary recorded in the Mountrath Catholic Church in 1853. This is the same year that William Kavanagh and Bridget Purcell were married. If you go back to the Irish Times map for the Catholic parishes of County Laois, you’ll see that the Mountrath Catholic Parish is just below the Cappinrush/Ballyfin Catholic parishes where William and Bridget were married. While Ballyfin and Mountrath were separate Catholic parishes, they were both situated in the Civil Parish of Clonenagh & Clonagheen.

IFHF marriage indexes do not automatically provide you with names, hence in the marriage index below, you won’t see Mary’s maiden name. You either have to know a person’s last name, or find it through additional research, or order the transcription to find out what it was.

The index follows:

1 match for the search criteria: Purcell (plus variants) Stephen 1833 Parish: MOUNTRATH (RC)

Surname: Purcell
First Name: Stephen
Spouse's Surname:
Spouse's First Name: Mary
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Parish/District: Parish: MOUNTRATH (RC)
____

I then wanted to see if I could locate Mary’s maiden name through additional research. I went back to the Irish Times link at: http://tinyurl.com/aors3ls

This page gives the names of the towns located in the Clonenagh & Clonagheen Civil Parish. Toward the bottom of the page is a list of the 10 most common surnames in the Clonenagh & Clonagheen Civil Parish as found in an Irish property tax record known as Griffiths Valuation, which was enumerated in the parish in 1851-1852.

These surnames and their ranking in numbers in the valuation, are below:

Most common surnames in Clonenagh and Clonagheen in 1851-2

Surname Households

Delany 141
Lalor 120
Dunne 109
Fitzpatrick 85
Phelan 71
Conroy 50
Doolan 50
Moore 43
McEvoy 41
Whelan 39
____

Next I took each of the names in the above list and went back to the IFHF search engine for Stephen Purcell and Mary’s marriage, to see if any were accepted by the search engine as Mary’s maiden name. The search engine accepted Phelan, number 71 in the list above, as Mary’s maiden name.

The revised IFHF marriage index follows:

1 match for the search criteria: Purcell (plus variants) Stephen 1833 Parish: MOUNTRATH (RC)

Surname: Purcell
First Name: Stephen
Spouse's Surname: Phelan
Spouse's First Name: Mary
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Parish/District: Parish: MOUNTRATH (RC)
____

The marriage index is a finding aid. You would need to uncover documentation in America showing that Stephen’s wife was Mary Phelan, to prove they are the same couple in the 1860 census for Richmond, Virginia. Beverly, have you heard of any Phelans in your family history before?

I then found what may be your Cavanagh family in the 1870 census in Richmond, Virginia at Ancestry.com

The Ancestry.com index for the census gives the surname of the family as “Carinoe,” but once again, Diana Gale Matthiesen submitted a correction that the family’s surname was “Cavanagh,” or “Kavanagh.” This census is very faded, and I’ve attempted to transcribe it as accurately from a copy of the original (from Ancestry.com), as possible.

The 1870 census shows that 40 year old William and 34 year old Bridget Cavanagh were born in Ireland. William’s occupation is laborer. The census notes that Bridget could not write. The children in the household, all born in Virginia, are 14 year old John, employed in a Rolling Mill; 10 year old James, who is attending school; and 7 year old Julia. Not in this census is William and Bridget’s daughter Mary, who was shown to be 6 years old and born in Ireland, in the 1860 census.

The 1870 census transcription for the Cavanagh family is below:

1870 United States Federal Census

Page No. 44}

SCHEDULE 1.-Inhabitants in Clay Ward Richmond City, in the County of Henrico State
of Virginia, enumerated by me on the 20 day of July, 1870. Wm D. Pemberton, Ass't Marshal

Post Office: Richmond Va

Name, Age, Sex, Color, Occupation, Value of Real Estate, Value of Personal Estate, Place of Birth,
If born within the year state month of birth, Cannot Read, Cannot Write, Attended school within the year,
Male Citizen of U.S. 21 years of age and upward

William Cavanagh, 40, Male, White, Laborer, Ireland, Write, Male Citizen of U.S. 21 years of age and upward
Bridget Cavanagh, 34, Female, White, Keeping House, Cannot write
John Cavanagh, 14, Male, White, Works in Rolling Mill, Virginia Attended school within the year
James Cavanagh, 10, Male, White, Attending School, Attended school within the year
Julia Cavanagh, 7, Female, White, Virginia

Source Citation: Year: 1870; Census Place: Richmond Clay Ward, Henrico, Virginia; Roll: M593_1653; Page: 390B; Image: 148; Family History Library Film: 553152.
____

Also in the 1870 census I found 42 year old Martin Purcell, his 46 year old wife Mary, and the person I believe to be Martin’s mother, 75 year old Mary, living in the Lower Revenue District, Hanover County, Virginia. I believe Martin and the older Mary Purcell were the same Purcells found in the 1860 census living near William and Bridget Cavanagh in Richmond, Virginia.

The 1870 census however, is so faded that I didn’t take a chance of transcribing more than each person’s name, age and gender from a copy of the original found at Ancestry.com:

1870 United States Federal Census

SCHEDULE 1.-Inhabitants in Lower Revenue District, in the County of Hanover State
of Virginia, enumerated by me on the 21 day of June, 1870. ?, Ass't Marshal

Post Office: Beaverdam

Name, Age, Sex, Color, Occupation, Value of Real Estate, Value of Personal Estate, Place of Birth,
If born within the year state month of birth, Cannot Read, Cannot Write, Attended school within the year,
Male Citizen of U.S. 21 years of age and upward

Marten Purcell, 42, Male,
Mary Purcell, 46, Female,
Marry Purcell, 75, Female,

Source Citation: Year: 1870; Census Place: Lower Revenue District, Hanover, Virginia; Roll: M593_1651; Page: 8A; Image: 20; Family History Library Film: 553150.
____

Next I found the family of William and Bridget Kavanagh in the 1880 census living in Richmond, Virginia. This census shows that 50 year old William was employed as a watchman, and was born in Ireland. His 42 year old wife Bridget was also born in Ireland. The children in the household born in Virginia are 32 year old son John, 19 year old James, 18 year old Julia, 10 year old Sarah, 6 year old Cecelia, 4 year old Essy, and 1 year old Elizabeth. Also in the household is William and Bridget’s son-in-law and daughter, 22 year old James Goldman, and 26 year old May Goldman. May was born in Ireland. I couldn’t make out James’s occupation, but his birthplace is listed as Virginia:

1880 United States Federal Census

Page No. 61

SCHEDULE 1.-Inhabitants in Richmond, in the County of Henrico, State of Va
enumerated by me on the 1st day of June 1880. ? Enumerator

Name, Color, Sex, Age, Relation, Marital Status, Occupation, Attended School, Place of Birth, Father's Place of Birth, Mother's Place of Birth

Wm. Kavanagh, White, Male, 50, Married, Watchman, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland
Bridget Kavanagh, White, Female, 42, Wife, Married, Keeping House, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland
John Kavanagh, White, Male, 23, Son, Single, Roughfer?, Va, Ireland, Ireland
James Kavanagh, White, Male, 19, Son, Single, Laborer, Va, Ireland, Ireland
Julia Kavanagh, White, Female, 18, Daughter, Single, Va, Ireland, Ireland
Sarah Kavanagh, White, Female, 10, Daughter, Single, Attended School, Va, Ireland, Ireland
Celia Kavanagh, White, Feamle, 8, Daughter, Single,
Essy Kavanagh, White, Female, 4, Daughter, Single, Cannot Read, Cannot Write, Va, Ireland, Ireland
Elizabeth Kavanagh, White, Female, 1, Daughter, Single, Cannot Read, Cannot Write, Va, Ireland, Ireland
Jas. Goldman, White, Male, 22, Son in Law, Married, ?, Virginia, Virginia, Virginia
May Goldman, White, Female, 26, Daughter, Married, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland

Source Citation: Year: 1880; Census Place: Richmond, Henrico, Virginia; Roll: 1371; Family History Film: 1255371; Page: 31A; Enumeration District: 079
____

I then found what could be your William Cavanagh’s death index at the Latter Day Saints (LDS) website.
The LDS search engine can be found at; https://www.familysearch.org/#form=advanced-records

This index shows that a William Cavanagh died in Richmond City, Virginia, on 15 September 1882 at the age of 56. The index also shows that at the time he died he was married and that his occupation was “Watchman,” which is the same occupation listed for William Kavanagh in the 1880 census above.

The death index follows:

"Virginia, Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912," William Cavanaugh, 1826

name: William Cavanaugh
burial date:
burial place:
death date: 15 Sep 1882
death place: Richmond City, Virginia
birth date: 1826
birthplace: Ireland
race: White
marital status: Married
spouse's name:
father's name:
father's birthplace:
mother's name:
mother's birthplace:
indexing project (batch) number: B06989-8
system origin: Virginia-EASY
reference number: p 10 cn 370

source film number: 2048592 = Death registers, 1853-1906 (Virginia): Death registers: Richmond City 1875-1888.

Collection: "Virginia, Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912," William Cavanaugh, 1826
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X5B7-FJ1

Citing this Record
"Virginia, Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X5B7-FJ1 : accessed 17 Nov 2012), William Cavanaugh, 1826.
____

William’s death record can be found on LDS microfilm number 2048592. You can order this film from your local Family History Center.

I also looked for the death index for Bridget Cavanagh in Richmond, but didn’t find it. She may have died in another location in Virginia, or in another state, or her death may not have been indexed by the LDS. The other possibility is I failed to locate her death index if it exists at the LDS website.

Next I found a marriage index at the LDS website for 27 year old John H. Gowen and 17 year old Cecelia E. Cavanagh, who were married in Richmond, Virginia, on 17 October 1889. Cecelia’s parents are listed as William Cavanagh and Bridget C. Cavanagh. John H. Gowen’s parents are listed as Richard T. Gowen and Rebecca Gowen.

This index may refer to the marriage of your William and Bridget’s daughter Cecelia:

"Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940," Richard T. Gowen in entry for John H. Gowen and Celia E. Cavanaugh, 1889

groom's name: John H. Gowen
groom's birth date: 1862
groom's birthplace: Richmond
groom's age: 27
bride's name: Celia E. Cavanaugh
bride's birth date: 1872
bride's birthplace: Richmond
bride's age: 17
marriage date: 17 Oct 1889
marriage place: Richmond, Virginia
groom's father's name: Richard T. Gowen
groom's mother's name: Rebecca Gowen
bride's father's name: William Cavanaugh
bride's mother's name: Bridget C. Cavanaugh
groom's race: White
groom's marital status: Single
groom's previous wife's name:
bride's race: White
bride's marital status: Single
bride's previous husband's name:
indexing project (batch) number: M01078-6
system origin: Virginia-EASy
reference number: p 99

source film number: 2048498 = Marriage registers, (Virginia):
Marriage registers, Suffolk City, 1919-1935 Williamsburg City, 1854-1935 Richmond City, 1853-1896

Collection: "Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940," Richard T. Gowen in entry for John H. Gowen and Celia E. Cavanaugh, 1889. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XRXH-KP7

Citing this Record
"Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XRXH-KP7 : accessed 17 Nov 2012), Richard T. Gowen in entry for John H. Gowen and Celia E. Cavanaugh, 17 Oct 1889; citing reference p 99, FHL microfilm 2048498.
____

The marriage record between John Gowen and Cecelia Cavanagh can be found in LDS microfilm number 2048498.

I also located an LDS marriage index for a Joseph E. Powers and Elizabeth Cavanagh, which took place in Richmond, on 7 September 1904. Elizabeth’s parents are listed as William Cavanagh and Bridget Cavanagh. This marriage may also refer to the daughter of your William and Bridget Cavanagh.

Joseph Powers’s parents are Edward Powers and Mary Powers:

"Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940," Elizabeth Cavanaugh, 1904

groom's name: Joseph E. Powers
groom's birth date: 1873
groom's birthplace:
groom's age: 31
bride's name: Elizabeth Cavanaugh
bride's birth date: 1880
bride's birthplace:
bride's age: 24
marriage date: 07 Sep 1904
marriage place: Richmond, Virginia
groom's father's name: Edward Powers
groom's mother's name: Mary Powers
bride's father's name: William Cavanaugh
bride's mother's name: Bridget Cavanaugh
groom's race:
groom's marital status:
groom's previous wife's name:
bride's race:
bride's marital status:
bride's previous husband's name:
indexing project (batch) number: M01791-8
system origin: Virginia-EASy
reference number: it1

source film number: 2048499 = Marriage registers, (Virginia):
Marriage registers, Richmond City, 1897-1911.

Collection: "Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940," Elizabeth Cavanaugh, 1904
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XRNB-H77

Citing this Record
"Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XRNB-H77 : accessed 17 Nov 2012), Joseph E. Powers and Elizabeth Cavanaugh, 07 Sep 1904; citing reference it1, FHL microfilm 2048499.
____

The marriage record for Joseph and Elizabeth can be found on LDS microfilm number 2048499, which you can order from your local Family History Center.

Beverly, because you are more familiar with the Cavanagh/Kavanagh ancestry than I am, you may be able to uncover more information about your ancestors at the LDS website than I did. You may also want to take advantage of a 14 day free trial to Ancestry.com, as you may also be able to find more information about the Cavanaghs and Purcells than I did.

Best Wishes,

Dave Boylan
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
bevlo3015 8 Oct 2012 11:48PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 10 Oct 2012 1:54PM GMT 
bevlo3015 10 Oct 2012 9:37PM GMT 
DaveBoylan 18 Nov 2012 3:18AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions