Search for content in message boards

Jane Gilmore Gilmore Bayne & 2 John Gilmores of Kilberry Kildare and Killurin Parish in Wexford

Replies: 8

Jane Gilmore Gilmore Bayne & 2 John Gilmores of Kilberry Kildare and Killurin Parish in Wexford

Posted: 30 Mar 2013 4:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for information on JOHN GILMORE who was married to JANE GILMORE (daughter of ANDREW and MARY WALL GILMORE ). Jane was married twice. She gave birth to twin girls with her first husband JOHN GILMORE in May 1855, and married her second husband (BAYNE)in 1858. So John had to be alive in the fall of 1854 and died before 1858. . . . . .

And also information on John Gilmore Jane's brother b about 1818. . . . . .

There is a memorial stone in the cemetery of the KILBERRY church in Kildare which says . . . . .

In loving memory of
JOHN GILMORE who died Nov 17th 1896 aged 78 years (making birth year 1819) . . . . .

also his wife MARY who died Dec 245h 1877 aged 54 years
. . . . .
and their daughter ISABELLA SEXTON who died June 21st 1895 aged 42 years
. . . . .
also their sons GEORGE GILMORE J.P. who died April 27th 1920 aged 64 years
. . . . .
WILLIAM who died Feb 16th 1924 aged 76 years
and his wife Martha Gilmore who died April 5th 1933 aged 87 years.
. . . . .
So one must conclude the stone was not carved until 1933 nearly 40 years after this John (my uncle) died.
. . . . .
A member of the family visited Ireland just after WWII. However when I hired a professional to look up the family and check records in the 1970's I was told that the family was gone. Most had died, and the one remaining daughter had moved to Australia but letters to her last known address were not answered. I do not have her married name or even that address anymore.
. . . . .
Andrew Gilmore was a weaver and Mary Wall Gilmore was a spinster.
. . . . .
We have found no other information on the family that is solid although my researcher mentioned there was another line of Gilmores in the area. I only learned that Jane's first husband was John Gilmore when we located marriage records for the children in Canada, which all state John Gilmore was their father.
. . . . .
And we have oral history to suggest that John Gilmore (husband of Jane) was born in Scotland, specifically PERTHSHIRE, and that his Gilmore line was probably connected to Clan Morrison. The Clan Morrison came down in a different branch of the family. I found a book many years ago about the Clan Morrison Gilmores in Ireland but at that time I did not know about this rumor and did not investigate the book. Sigh. The same family member who visited Kilberry also visited Perthshire and took pictures of a farm there, but I have no information on how he knew to photograph that particular farm, and no information about it either.
. . . . .
The records of these people are mostly in the KILLURIN PARISH church in WEXFORD County although it is known that at some point the family lived in KILBERRY and descendants were there in the 1950's. Jane was confirmed at St. Ignatius in 1840 according to a letter from the Minister of Killurin dated 1859.
. . . . .
JOHN (died 1896) IS THE BROTHER of my ancestor Jane Gilmore who married a different John Gilmore (b Scotland).
. . . . .
Ancestry recently showed a leaf for a Civil Registration Deaths Index 1864-1958 for JOHN GILMORE 1818-1896
It shows the death of John in December 1896 which would be 2 to 6 weeks after the death date on the memorial stone, but I am thinking perhaps December is when the death was recorded.
. . . . .
However I don't know what to do with this clue. How do I find out what information was in the record and where it is now?
. . . . .
I am hoping that perhaps there is some information on parentage since John is the brother of my ancestor Jane. Even just a place of death would be helpful.
. . . . .
Also there is a STRONG TWIN GENE coming down from Jane. She had twins the first husband (my ancestor) and nearly every generation of descendants of the second husband have had twins. Our side has had twins as recently as the 1970s. We lean toward identicals
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Carol Dickins... 30 Mar 2013 10:26AM GMT 
AnnetteCode 16 Apr 2013 1:23PM GMT 
Carol Dickins... 17 Apr 2013 8:33PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 18 Apr 2013 3:23AM GMT 
Carol Dickins... 4 May 2013 10:08AM GMT 
AnnetteCode 4 May 2013 10:02PM GMT 
Carol Dickins... 4 May 2013 10:25PM GMT 
AnnetteCode 5 May 2013 1:03AM GMT 
Carol Dickins... 24 Jun 2013 7:57PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions