Search for content in message boards

Dundee and Panbride families

Replies: 6

Dundee and Panbride families

Posted: 12 Jan 2003 8:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CAITHNESS, CAITNES, WATT, PATERSON, SPINK, SCOTT, BISSET, SIMSON, REID, PATON, BRUCE, CHALMERS, MCGREGOR, URQUHART, BUTTER, HILL, RENNIE, MCLANDERS, TOSH, HALLYBURTON
Updating my research areas:

I've a lot of ancestors from the Panbride area, as follows:

CAITHNESS and CAITNES - I have two separate lines being researched, the first dating back to James CAITNES who married Janet WATT circa 1690, via their son John CAITNES who married a Jean WATT (very confusing). The second line goes back to James CAITHNESS who married Margaret PATERSON, probably at Panbride?, via their son Thomas CAITHNESS and Agnes REID (m. circa 1745).

SCOTT - This dates back so far to Alexander SCOTT and Jannet CAITNES, (m. about 1750), via their son, John SCOTT and his wife Margaret SPINK (m. 10 Dec 1775, Panbride).

BISSET - The line has been traced back to Thomas BISSET and Jean SIMSON who were married about 1745, perhaps at Panbride, although I can find no ancestral links for either of them in that area - any help with these would be particularly valued!

I'm also currently researching the following families from the Dundee area:

PATON - I have a William PATON who married Ann BRUCE at Dundee on 11 Nov 1841. In 1881 they were living at 54 Princes St., Dundee, and described (with the surname misspelt) as: "William PATTON M 60 M Dundee Rel: Head Occ: Seaman Unemployed" and "Ann PATTON M 59 F Dundee Rel: Wife". Has anyone any clues or ideas as to who their parents may have been? It seems they were both from Dundee families.

CHALMERS - My GG Grandfather was a James CHALMERS who married Janet "Jessie" BISSET at Broughty Ferry in 1861. They and their descendents lived in Dundee. In his marriage details, James CHALMERS was said to have been born circa 1835 at Perth, and his parents were named as James CHALMERS (Land Factor) [dec] and Agnes PARKER [dec], but as I haven't been able to find a Perthshire link to date, I wonder if the CHALMERS family originally came from Angus? This is known as clutching at straws. I'm also very keen to find fellow CHALMERS descendents. (CHALMERS was my maiden name).

MCGREGOR - My MCGREGOR ancestry is traced back to a John MCGREGOR who married Margaret URQUHART on 09 Jul 1810 at Dundee. I am working on the theory that Margaret may be the daughter of Alexander URQUHART and Margaret KERR of Dundee, baptized 31 May 1793, Dundee, while I haven't made any headway at all on John MCGREGOR's parentage. Anyone else researching either of these lines?

Other Dundee names: BUTTER, HILL, RENNIE, MCLANDERS, TOSH, HALLYBURTON

Best wishes,

Sue

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
suekellow 13 Jan 2003 3:21AM GMT 
mary 16 Mar 2003 11:39PM GMT 
suekellow 17 Mar 2003 12:30AM GMT 
mary 17 Apr 2003 11:48PM GMT 
willem van Ge... 16 Feb 2013 3:34PM GMT 
SueHemburyKel... 22 Feb 2013 4:23PM GMT 
willem van Ge... 22 Feb 2013 5:09PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions