Search for content in message boards

Finnie/Bell Families of Dundee

Replies: 3

Finnie/Bell Families of Dundee

Sue Finnie (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jan 2001 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Finnie, Bell
I have just found this site, & am very interested in your comments. I have been to Dundee to see where my grandparents, James Finnie & Alexina Bell Finnie, lived & were married in St. Mary's Church in Dundee. I will have to find my papers, but off the top of my head, my grandparents were born in the late 1990's to James & Mary Finnie, & James & ? Bell. They each had 8 brothers & sisters. Many of who moved to the US. My grandfather fought in WWI for the Royal Fushillers (sp?). My grandmother worked in a hemp factory. I have 2 stools she made.My grandfather was a gardener & did his apprenticship at Glamis Castle w/ the Bowes-Lyons family. He used to take the current Queen Mother on wheelbarrow rides. they came to America after WWI. My father, James Bell Finnie was born in Brookline Mass June 3.1920 & just died in Wilmington Delaware March 28, 1998.My grandfather left Massachusetts to go to New Jersey to work for the Duke Family, who founded Duke Univ. Still in the 1920's, he moved to Wilmington DE, to run the Nemours Estate owned by Alfred I. duPont, of the famous duPont family, until Mr.duPont's wife Jessie died in 1968. My grandmother died in March 1988, & my grandfather died on Oct.23, 1988. Somewhere I have all the names of my grandparents. My grandfather's siblings who came to the US were Robert, who moved to the SanFrancisco are, & still has a son Robert & daughter Jean Finnie Jacobs living there. My grandfather's sister Edith was the first to come over, & paid for the rest of them to come. She lived in Quincy Massachusetts until she died in 19688. She was married to a James Heggie. Another sister, Jean Finnie moved to western Massachusetts, & married into the Furgeson family, I think. My grandmothers brother Robert "Bert" Bell came to the US & lived in northern New Jesey on the ocean. Also, a sister named Hilda, married a professional golfer, named Tom McKenzie. They lived in Lake George, New York.
My father is James Bell Finnie. He married my mother, Agnes Elizabeth "Betty" Comegys, Sept. 4, 1948. My father was on an LST in the South Pacific, in WWI. When he died in 1988, it was from Melanoma (skin cancer), which all that sun in the South Pacific did not help. I was born in Wilmington, Delaware in 1951. My full name is Susan Elizabeth Finnie. My brother has a GREAT name: Robert Bruce Finnie, was born in Wilm. May 5, 1955. He now lives in West Palm Beach,Florida & has a son named Austin Bruce Finnie, & a daughter named Valerie Marie Finnie. Not much more to tell. I do not think any of this ties into the queries you have posted. But I would like to go back past my grandparents. I have met some of my grandparents brothers & sisters in '73 in Dundee & Broughty Ferry. I have always wanted to get into my geneology, but never have had the time. Your letters have excited me. I will keep looking at this web site to see if anyone has any connections to my family. Good Luck & thanks for the spark.
Sue Finnie
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Sue Finnie 27 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
nigel_henden 15 Feb 2014 9:57AM GMT 
Forfarian 15 Feb 2014 10:56AM GMT 
nigel_henden 16 Feb 2014 3:27AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions