Search for content in message boards

John Stewart from Dundee

Replies: 5

Re: John Stewart from Dundee

Posted: 15 May 2013 12:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
If you use the LDS website, familysearch.org Do a parent search for couples, mum's first name is required, but list both if you have them. Then use GROS (Government Regstrar Office of Scotland, Sp or Regiser house online Scots Origin had the online contract before Scotspeeps (nickname) won contract bid Scotlandspeople.gov.uk. Look up all records you found dates for on the LDS website. Remember the LDS doesn't know as much about Scottish names or places. so the GROS index has fewer variants...but still wise to search uder Black's surname and Dorwards Scottish forenames. Stewart/Stuart; such as Alexnder/Alex./Alexr. use forename begins with to cast a bigger net. Most of OPRs pre-1855 are digitized online. If they post no image, DON'T order an extract; a certified copy on parchment. (unless you want to wallpaper a room. In person any person can pull records up to present. SO if you want a copy, look first for LDS film first, or hire a professional, most charge less than a pound a record, or ask them to transmit contents via email for less. If you can't get a "true copy" and MUST have one, it is cheaper for UK citizens than we abroad....It need not cost a fortune, but it beats travel costs (though we should see Alba for your soul. The LDS only partially filmed at the GROS, but the Crown/Government pulled the plug. So the GROS is more complete, more accurate than LDS....and the GROS only contains establish church (main branch of Presbyterian) and all civil records (post 1855)but the other religions and non-conformist records are not centralized. NAS has partial non-conformist index. Finding your heritage is worth time and yes, money. But why waste either? Make an easy project....1. find great grandfather's death or 2. enumeration sheet for 1841,1851 and 1861 census for grandfather...then have a professional quote a price. I have used several, and have been delighted with accuracy, and if I really want a copy not digitized online, or if I suspect the Edinburgh/GROS copy of a civil record may not have made it to the GROS, I have them search for the duplicate at the appro. regional office.
I have the monument inscription books done in 1982 by the Scottish Genealogy Society, but only a small percent of those buried ever had stones, and some have been tipped over face first to keep leaning stones from injuring, those that have been broken or unreadable, there are earlier books such as Pre 1855 Gravestones in Angus - ed. A. Mitchell or Jervis' volumes.

There are ways to reduce costs by joining a family history society, and asking volunteers to get document copies or content. Use the Assoc. of Scotish FHS, or the Federation of FHS in the UK for members on links. I prefer a google search for the city or village genealogy search. Blairgowrie has a tiny FHS in their library. They collect pedigree files of members, one may have your family. Ancestry.com has many trees, of varrying value, the local LDS centers allow full access to Ancestry, as do many libraries. Other commercial websites offer newspapers, passenger lists, etc. But personally I use the Scottish sources when looking for Scots. May I say if you wish to be thorough 90% of Scottish records are only found in Scotland. Guild, education, tax, inheritance, wills, even doctor records are not at one place. military except militia are at the PRO (nickname for Public records office in Kew, England since after union). Census from 1801-1831 have no surname listed but rather totals only but I've used them if I know the Fuer/rental my ancestors lived at. 1841-1851 have problems or lack of birthplace, age moved 5 years, but can help support vital records in proving ancestry. I suggest you find what you can on Scotlands peeps after seeing what the LDS files say, then write a list of "next questions" and set a genealogy budget, hire a profesional, at least two I know will create a hard bound book for you. You can pay by credit card or set up an account to work from/pay from.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jan Crawford 13 May 2013 11:55PM GMT 
DoreenCuthber... 14 May 2013 9:22AM GMT 
Jan Crawford 14 May 2013 10:16PM GMT 
Forfarian 14 May 2013 10:36PM GMT 
Jan Crawford 15 May 2013 12:55AM GMT 
m_schacht 15 May 2013 6:15AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions