Search for content in message boards

McDonald/Macdonald; Sinclair; Pilmer; Miller; Bain; Smith - Dalhousie Street and Damacre Road Brechin

Replies: 0

McDonald/Macdonald; Sinclair; Pilmer; Miller; Bain; Smith - Dalhousie Street and Damacre Road Brechin

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 6:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
In an effort to try to trace my Great Grandfather Donald (Daniel) McDonald/Macdonald (born 1863 in Brechin)'s Grandparents, Charles McDonald and ? and where their son Donald (Snr) (my 2nd Great Grandfather) was born, I am hoping the following may help spark someone's memory/interest. I have posted before, but now supply further information. My Great Grandfather's father was Donald McDonald (Senior), and his mother was Ann Sinclair. They had 3 children, Isabella Miller Sinclair/McDonald b1856; Georgina Ross Sinclair/McDonald b1859 and Donald/Daniel McDonald born 1863. Donald snr had previously been married to Ann's sister Margaret in the 1830's. Donald and Margarets marriage produced 3 children, John McDonald born 1841, Charles McDonald b1842 and Ann McDonald b1845. Margaret appears to have been married to James Pilmer prior to her marriage to Donald McDonald snr, and George Pilmer was born 1836. Margaret appears to have died before the 1851 census. Ann Sinclair may also have had a marriage to a 'Bain' and possibly had a child John born 1850. John Bain (nephew) is shown in an 1851 census and in 1861 is called John McDonald, son. Donald Snr appears to have died in 1879 and Ann in 1870. Ann and Margaret Sinclair's parents were John Sinclair and Isabel(la) Miller. It appears John Sinclair may have died prior to 1841 as Isabella and Ann had moved in with Donald and Margaret by the 1841 census. With regard to Donald Jnr there is a family story that prior to coming to Australia in 1886 and after his mother died in 1870, he was brought up by a Betsy Smith at Dalhousie Street, Brechin. He formerly lived in Damacre Road Brechin. Donald/Daniel Jnr could have worked in a mill. Donald McDonald Snr may have been a labourer at Glamis Castle.
Anne

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions