Search for content in message boards

Wight family from Old Cumnock

Replies: 0

Wight family from Old Cumnock

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 1:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wight Brown Muir Kerr Wier
I am looking for more information regarding my wife's ancestors from Old Cumnock, Ochiltree, etc. My wife descends from Hugh Wight b. abt 6 Aug, 1801 in Old Cumnock, Ayr, Scotland. Hugh was the son of John Wight b. abt. May 1760 in Old Cumnock(or area) who married 14 Jun. 1793 Margaret Muir. John was the son of Robert Wight and Ann Wier. Hugh Wight married Catherine Brown 10 April 1829 in Ochiltree, Ayr. Catherine was b. abt. 1806 in Ochiltree, and was probably the daughter of John Brown (b. 1776 d. 1863) and his wife Mary Kerr (d. 1828)- some have in their genealogy, a different Catherine as the daughter of these people, but the data fits better with the Wight family. Hugh and Catherine emigrated to Oxford Co./Brant Co. Ontario, Canada shortly after their marriage (all their children were born in Canada). Their family Bible still exists (the cover is embossed with their names on it). Their deaths are recorded in the Bible. Also, a picture from Scotland survives (I believe of the Brown side of the family). Would love to correspond with anyone connected to the family.

Find a board about a specific topic