Search for content in message boards

JOHN KERR / J.WYLIE; ROBERT KERR / M. LOGAN; DANIEL KERR / C.CAMERON OF AYRSHIRE SCOTLAND

Replies: 4

Re: JOHN KERR / J.WYLIE; ROBERT KERR / M. LOGAN; DANIEL KERR / C.CAMERON OF AYRSHIRE SCOTLAND

Posted: 1 Jul 2013 3:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Jack,

When are you going to Ayrshire? Here is my email address - Deborah.rea94@gmail.com which you might want to use instead of using the message boards. I cannot say for sure if my distant cousin Ann Wyllie will be able to help you but she might be a good person to call upon if you need anything. She is away at the moment until sometime next week. When she returns I will ask her.

For starters, there is a FANTASTIC B & B in Fenwick (just stayed there for three weeks. The rate is £35 a night. Debbie and Jim McCulliog are the owners (brilliant people). Their place is in Fenwick which is a really good location for family history. The website is www.langside-bedandbreakfast.com. You'll probably see my review on the site. Nothing is too much for them.

Your first point of call should be the Burns Centre in Kilmarnock. http://www.burnsmonumentcentre.co.uk/20/archives_family_and_.... Go to Archives, Family and local history tab. When you go there look for the bookcase which is near to the desk is a book case which is just before you go into the computer room (you can get Scotlands People for £15 per day, unlimited - no WiFi but bring a dongle and you'll get on line). In this bookshelf there is a Kerr family history folder (actually this is where you'll find lots of family histories donated by various family members). I can send this to you if you wish as it's on my laptop.

Re the Kerrs - I have a Janet King m. to a Bryce Kerr in 1794. I have an Alexander Kerr Birth b. 31 Oct 1784 in Kilwinning, Ayrshire, Scotland - no spouse yet. No Daniel yet, but then I haven't had time to finish inputting stuff as I only just returned from Ayrshire!

While at the Burns Centre also ask to see the Valuation Rolls - a great source of information on which farms people lived in, whether they were the owner and/or tenant, how much rent they paid. The good thing about these rolls is that they came out every year as opposed to the census which of course is every ten years. Burns won't let you photocopy them - they are too big and will break the spines plus the copier. There are some fantastic old books there as well as well as maps.

The Carnegie Library in Ayr is another good place. They have sasine records there (Burns don't). You can also get the Val Rolls here as well. Carnegie will let you copy their Val Rolls. Just take your camera - no charge to use it.

Read up about the Mitchell library in Glasgow. Think of going to the Giffnock library which holds records for North Ayrshire. If you go to Edinburgh take some identification with you as you will have to get their Readers Ticket. Check out the Kirk Sessions - really early history of people had to answer to the church and what would happen if they didn't! In other words, people had to behave themselves - or else!

We also have 8 Cameron's on the tree; one of my great uncle was Robert Cameron Shields.

Take your camera plus an extra memory card, your phone, an ipad if you have one - all good things to make copies.

Please do email me. If you think we might connect contact my cousin Rosemary Cryer at rosemarycryer@gmail.com (she lives in Vancouver) as I believe we are now a private tree.

All the best,
Debbie

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jackspot26 30 Jun 2013 10:08PM GMT 
deborahrea1 1 Jul 2013 5:46AM GMT 
deborahrea1 1 Jul 2013 5:57AM GMT 
jackspot26 1 Jul 2013 12:22PM GMT 
deborahrea94 1 Jul 2013 9:30PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions