Search for content in message boards

Boyce

Replies: 18

Re: James and Hugh Boyce

Posted: 9 Oct 2013 7:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Illene,

Information re Hugh Boyce and Jane and their family initially came from my sister’s research in Scotland in the early 1970’s. I have added bits and pieces.
I do not have my sister’s notes with me, so I /she may well have recorded Thomas’s baptism 1854 as his birth.
I visited all the Boyce families in Dalry and surrounds in 1990 while teaching in England and made positive connections descendants of James Boyce (Hugh’s brother) and Mary Dickenson. Most visits did nothing to add to the family puzzle.
Also spent 2 days in Donaghadee without any luck.
At a later time a Boyce cousin from NZ went to Dalry to visit the family and that is when in was confirmed that James Boyce and Elizabeth Hamilton were the parents of James, (and Hugh?)

Thanks for the extra bits of information you have sent- I will add it to what I have got.

James Boyce and Mary Dickenson had 15 children- all survived! Once shifting to Ayrshire they were iron miners in Dalry, Kilwinning and Dalmellington mainly.

Their only child I have little information about is Thomas Boyce, born 25/7/1862 in Kilwinning. That makes him somewhat older than Mary, but a possibility of the Thomas when Mary remarried???

I am putting my time (with a little help from my friends) into establishing links between our Boyce family and the Boyce families in Donaghadee and surrounds, and the Boyce families in Dalry and surrounds.

The following are Boyce families in Ayrshire towns and yet be linked to our family:

William Boyce and Ann Allen
ch. William b. 1857, Dalry.

There is a William Boyce born 1828 in Donaghadee.
Purely as conjecture I have your Hugh, William and Henry born 1821 Donaghadee as siblings and therefore brothers of James also.
However there are a number of Boyce families in Donaghadee and surrounds at this time.

Charles Boyce b. 1837 Dalry, o. pithead labourer
m. Isabella Crawford, b.1832 Cantyre, Argyll, Scotland
ch. Archibald 1859 Dalry
Ellen 1861 Dalry
James 1864 Dalry
Isabella 1866, (Annabella?) Dalry
Charles 1869 Dalry
Charles’ family may have come from England and descendants of Charles (b.1869) most probably in Patna in 1990. I visited Patna and spoke to several Boyce’s.

Thomas Boyce from Comber to Dalry in 1849 –coincidence?

Mary Boyce m. Robert Willie 25/7/1872 Dalrymple, Dalmellington

Sarah Boyce m. Thomas Thompson 1876 Dalmellington
(which Boyce family were Mary and Sarah from?)

1891 Dalry census: Jane Boyce, 60, seamtress, b. N Ireland (1831?)
Mary Patterson, 12, g-daughter, b. Dalry (1879?)

Illene please keep in contact- we may be able to tease out a few more details!

Regards,
David
(Presently teaching in Singapore, but returning to NZ to retire in a couple of years)

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ij_gor 5 Oct 2013 7:51PM GMT 
Christina Boy... 1 Jan 2014 2:28AM GMT 
Christina Boy... 1 Jan 2014 4:17AM GMT 
ij_gor 2 Jan 2014 7:22PM GMT 
ij_gor 2 Jan 2014 7:17PM GMT 
ij_gor 7 Oct 2013 8:22AM GMT 
dboyce8 10 Oct 2013 1:25AM GMT 
ij_gor 22 Oct 2013 12:27PM GMT 
dboyce8 23 Oct 2013 11:43PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic