Search for content in message boards

The DUNNACHIE's from Maybole, Ayrshire.

Replies: 7

family information

peter dunnachie (View posts)
Posted: 9 Apr 2001 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am Peter Dunnachie, 4th child of William Dunnachie & Vera Selena Gwendoline [nee Floyd].
My parents met on board ship coming out to New Zealand in 1948. My father was from Maybole.
My father's mother I thought was a Margaret Dunnachie, but not Maggie I think, as I know there was another Maggie who was close to my grandmother. The earliest recollection I have they had lived in Weaver Vennell where I remember writing to her as a child. My father who died about 15? years ago talked of having lived in John Knox Street in a flat with a 'hole in the wall' for a bed. My mother was more a source of information about my father's family - he was an only child, and told us the story that his father died when he was born, but my mother later told us that he was illegitimate so did not acknowledge his father. The Dunnachie's were apparently socially prominent and Baptist. My grandmother fell for the charms of a visiting doctor/locum who was an Irish Catholic. The family did not approve of the match, but my grandmother fell pregnant - my impression was that she was still young - and the family closed ranks and my grandfather was sent back to Ireland and my grandmother had the child and lived in the family.
My father must ahve been born in about 1908 or 1912. My mother is still very articulate and a great correspondent. I talk to her when I can, but it may be worthwhile for you to make contact with her
Vera Dunnachie, 9 Taieri Crescent, Kelston, Lower Hutt, New Zealand. She doesn't use the internet.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Kirsten Edwards 28 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT 
peter dunnachie 9 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT 
peter dunnachie 9 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT 
MargaretDavis... 15 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Fletcher_May 19 Apr 2011 9:02AM GMT 
kelaine07 11 Apr 2013 8:15PM GMT 
kelaine07 11 Apr 2013 8:30PM GMT 
51738 15 Apr 2013 4:35PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions