Search for content in message boards

JOHNSTON: Annandale, Scotland>Co. Tyrone,Ireland>Ontario, Canada>U.S.A.>?

Replies: 3

JOHNSTON: Annandale, Scotland>Co. Tyrone,Ireland>Ontario, Canada>U.S.A.>?

Posted: 18 May 2002 9:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Oct 2002 7:35PM GMT
Surnames: JOHNSTON
Looking for connections with the following Johnston family originally from the Annandale Johnston/es of Scotland.

Robert Johnston left Scotland sometime in the late 1700's - probably 1790's. He is said to have married an Irish woman (possibly 2), Hannah Shields being one. They started a family in Co. Tyrone, Ireland. All of the children were born in Ireland.

Children are thought to have been:

James, b. ca. 1798
Margaret, b. ca. 1800
Alexander, b. ca. 1804
John, b. ca. 1806
Robert "Red Robin", b. ca. 1808
David, b. ca. 1814
Archibald "Archie", b. ca. 1815 or '16

Francis "Frank", b. ca. 1805, may have been a sibling or a cousin/uncle.

Ca. 1832 the family emigrated to Canada. Robert "Red Robin", Archibald "Archie", and Francis "Frank" settled in N. Plantagenet Twp., Prescott Co., Ontario, Canada, near the town of Pendleton and bought farms close to each other. I have called them affectionately the "Wee Three" as they were the first 3 Johnstons that I knew about from Ireland being related - in addition Red Robin, my gggrandfather is said to have been 6'-5" tall. I would guess that Archie and Frank were above average in height too. Frank bought his farm from a George Johnson (Johnston?) in 1832. George had been on the tax rolls with that piece of property since 1822. I have no other information on George, and the name George does not show up in at least the first 3 generations of the children of the Wee Three, that I know of. So, there may be no relationship there.

Ca. 1905 a sailor from Ireland called on my ggrandfather, James Johnston, about an estate that had been left in Ireland. The estate consisted of an inn and related property. A relative had died and had no living heirs in Ireland. The sailor had been hired by a lawyer to track down an heir in Prescott Co.. I do not know the outcome of this contact.

In the 1920's I believe that sisters Edna & Beuleh Johnston went to Ireland to see if they could find some Johnston relatives. All were dead. They did visit the cemetary where they were buried and made extensive notes in a journal. Over time the journal with its information was lost.

Being an Annandale Johnston, Robert would have been a Presbyterian. He did not follow up on that in Canada. In Ireland I have no idea of his religious affiliation although I have heard one oral history that gave Presbyterian. In Canada most were Orange Lodge members and had various religious affiliations due to the fact that a Presbyterian church was not always close by - all remained with protestant affiliations. I do not know about Orange Lodge membership in Ireland.

If you think that you may have a connection with any of the above and/or information on their origins in Ireland and/or Scotland, please contact me either direct or via this bulletin board.

Cliff. Johnston
Granbury, TX
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
drybones_1 19 May 2002 3:52AM GMT 
35Teaberry 14 May 2012 2:39PM GMT 
mjmfamily17 13 Jul 2013 9:00AM GMT 
Johnston_Rebe... 28 Jul 2013 7:59PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions