Search for content in message boards

MASSON,James and ROBB, Margaret

Replies: 5

Re: MASSON,James and ROBB, Margaret

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 4:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Masson Researchers,
Although this is a reply to a post about six years ago, I thought it useful for other researhers to have a copy of my own findings regarding this couple:

It has been troubling that records show that there were two sets of three children born to James Masson and Margaret Robb, namely William, Charles and Jane sunamed Measson (a variant of Masson) in the Parish of Durris and another three namely Mary, James and John surnamed Masson in the Parish of Fetteresso. Their birth/baptism records may be seen at http://sdrv.ms/XMFOPN

Although have I shown all the children as one family on my tree, I had nagging doubts that they may be different families headed by two different couples with the same names.

What I hoped would dispell these doubts would be to find some of the siblings living in the same address. Again, although not conclusive evidence, I was pleased to find John Masson with spouse Janet Gerard baptising their son Alexander, and as witnessess also baptising a son (another John), William Masson and spouse Sarah Dench living in the same small settlement of 'Links of Arduthie'. This is all shown on Alexander Masson's Birth & Baptism record (1819) which is a combined record for William Masson's son's birth & baptism as shown here. Hopefully somewhere further evidence will turn up that this William Masson is the same person as William Measson, but until then will have to be satisfied that our John and a William Masson were living in (at least) very close proximity.

There was also a discussion on the non-active Stonehaven Genealogy group (requires Yahoo or facebook membership) about this same William Masson as at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Stonehaven_Genealogy/message/3... . He married Sarah Dench (Sarah Louisa Dinch) and they had two children John and Jane (Jean). Jean's death record states that her father William was a Prison Governor. I managed to contact Bob Masson, who started the thread on the Stonehaven Genealogy Group and as it turns out his ancestor was not a descendant of this William Masson after all, however the ensuing postings in the group have helped with our trees.

If you find any more on William and his family in your researches, I'd love to hear. I also have little so far on William's siblings Charles and Jane, apart from their Baptism records. For the other siblings Mary, James and 'our' John I've a little more as seen on my tree (for those with ancestry.com access).

Kind regards,
Jeff Angus

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
masson007 11 Mar 2007 6:20PM GMT 
rpmasson 12 Mar 2007 4:47PM GMT 
masson007 12 Mar 2007 7:17PM GMT 
rpmasson 12 Mar 2007 7:35PM GMT 
JeffreyPeterA... 19 Jan 2013 11:12PM GMT 
rhondacharlto... 6 Feb 2013 10:42PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions