Search for content in message boards

Falconer / Strachan marriage 1739 - Straton/Stratton?

Replies: 0

Falconer / Strachan marriage 1739 - Straton/Stratton?

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 3:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Falconer, Strachan, Straton, Stratton
Hello,

I'm having some difficulty with an Alexander Strachan who married Anne Falconer in Fordoun on 29 May 1739.
I'm fairly confident that Anne was born in Dunnottar on the 08 Jan 1710. Her son, James Strachon (Strachan) was born in Laurencekirk, 14 Oct 1744. Alexander is named in his son's birth record as Strachan and there is a record of his marriage to Anne.

The problem is that the only Alexander Strachan birth that I can find in the ScotlandsPeople registery for Kincardineshire in that time is... dubious. This is for 21 July 1715, Marykirk. Yes, right place, right time but this Alexander was born to descendents of the Thorntons of Strachan, a line that goes back to lords and ladies.

It seems to me more likely that Alexander's surname is a corruption of Straton or Stratton and there are Alexanders of these names also born in the right place and time (Stratton 1723, Garvock & Straton 1705, Dunnottar). I can't find marriages for these names to prove/disprove them. Has anyone else here researched this or can shed some light on this?

Thank you,

Matthew Davidson.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions